ATM Language / Charge Message

Sainsbury’s still show it (also the language part as as well)

14th August 19:19

http://stores.sainsburys.co.uk/4202/west-drayton-garden-village-local

1 Like

Today 13:05 @ Sainsbury’s ATM on Buchanan Steet Glasgow

https://stores.sainsburys.co.uk/2107/buchanan-galleries

Nationwide Surbiton

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/branch/surbiton/63_victoria_road

Today at 16:12 - your card issuer may charge message - recognised it as a Mastercard Debit card when entering my PIN though

Might be worth creating a wiki for users to edit?

Sainsburys
16th August 18:47
https://stores.sainsburys.co.uk/4762/newland-avenue-local

Only shows the ATM Language message :slight_smile:

2 Likes

EDITABLE WIKI - Naughty ATM List

Sainsbury’s

Santander

• Santander Branch, 174 High Street, Uxbridge. 14th August.

Morrison’s

• Letchworth (Hertfordshire). 2018-07

Nationwide

Lloyds

• Barrow-in-Furness. 2018-08

Other

• Post Office ATM: North Hillingdon Branch, 376 Long Lane, Hillingdon, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB10 9PG. 23rd August, 7th September, 10th October.
  • Post Office ATM, Stratford, London. 16th September
6 Likes

This one still has the foreign language option which doesn’t bother me but with any other card I can choose not to have a receipt, with Monzo I don’t have that option, if I want cash I have to have a receipt. Please ask them to get rid of that, I don’t need one. But at least there’s loads of details on it

1 Like

Thanks for the additions above, please keep adding to it as you see them (and hopefully we won’t need to for much longer :crossed_fingers:)

The orignal Mastercard bulletin covers both the charging message and the ‘select a language’ one so they should have both been addressed at the same time :woman_shrugging:

Unfortunately, that seems to be down to that specific ATM acquirer’s choice (odd that they only force receipts on you for Monzo cards though…) and won’t be enforceable by Mastercard. I’ll reach out though and see if anything can be done.

3 Likes

I also get this on certain ATMs (usually the type in corner shops etc) — extremely frustrating and waste of paper.

1 Like

CashZone got back to me on this pretty quick and turns out it’s related to Monzo not being a LINK member - our transactions are processed on the Mastercard network instead and the actual scheme dictates that a receipt is mandatory with every cash withdrawal (the same would be the case if we used Visa too).

As most legacy banks are part of LINK, that network is used instead, and their customers are given the option to have a receipt.

Everyday’s a school day… :upside_down_face:

12 Likes

Wait, so MasterCard’s rules state that all Mastercard cash transactions need a receipt?

So it’s all the other ATMs that are breaking the ‘rules’ there…

2 Likes

Depends which network the debit is moving through, so if your bank is a member of Link then they process the transaction and no receipt is needed. If MasterCard are processing it then a receipt is required.

I understand cards issued by banks that are members of Link have something on the chip which Link machines look for first. As Monzo is not a member of Link they fail to find the Link flag/program and default to the MasterCard network.

1 Like

Yeah, I know that. That’s why ATM’s show the charge message on Monzo cards.

What I didn’t know was that Mastercard’s scheme rules dictate that a receipt is required for cash withdrawals. I’ve never had an ATM force me to accept a receipt when using a Mastercard card (all of which are non-LINK).

Liam

3 Likes

Got another non-complier… @bamesjerry
IMG_1781

1 Like

Would it be possible to add an option in the app under ‘Report a problem with this transaction’ with ‘Minor - ATM offered language’, ‘Minor - ATM said a fee may be charged’ etc so it’s easier to keep a list of exactly which ATMs have issues?

4 Likes

Just been to that ATM again and the language message has gone and now I have the option not to have a receipt :exploding_head:

They’ve got over their receipt being mandatory policy pretty quickly :tada:

5 Likes

The Post Office ATM in Stratford, London (owned and operated by Bank of Ireland) gave me the your issuer may charge message just now. I’ve added it to the list above

Every Sainsburys ATM I’ve used gives the charge warning.

2 Likes

Maybe Monzo should initiate an option under the transaction for ATMs to report this. Not helpful for the user who is afraid of using the ATM though, I guess. But still. No need for this thread then, and Monzo get all of the data they need (As far as I can tell).

5 Likes

I used an ATM at my local Sainsbury’s (Glasgow Byres Road) this morning: no charge message.

1 Like

Well, don’t I wish I’d looked at the community sooner. I’ve not been using cash points at all as I assumed I was going to get charged for withdrawals. This hasn’t been a problem most of the time, as I’ve used cashback.

2 Likes