Apple Watch Ultra

Thinking of getting a Apple Watch ultra what are people thoughts on it?

1 Like

Looks cool but is big and expensive. If you do the sorts of activities they showed in the keynote itā€™s good, otherwise Iā€™d save the money

All Apple Watches seem to be getting the fancy compass app anyway

1 Like

None of us have any more info than you do at the moment so youā€™ll need to make your own mind up as to whether it is worth it or not.

3 Likes

If you like the latest tech and maybe get a new iPhone every 12-18 months then I can see the appeal.
Possibly push back a future phone purchase?
To buy this instead?

I personally wouldnā€™t but if you do triathlons or mad into certain sports then I can see how it will be a good edition.

Good luck on making that decision and at least it wonā€™t be the same price as a month of gas in winter.

1 Like

I dismissed it without even really considering it originally based on price.

I have a series 4 so figured this would be the year Iā€™d upgrade but when Iā€™ve looked at the cost of the larger sized 8 with cellular (I run and want the option of data / calling without always carrying a phone) then the difference in price is Ā£250.

I know Ā£250 is still a good chunk of money but the price difference for higher quality material has given me food for thought I didnā€™t think it wouldā€¦

2 Likes

I have the iPhone 13 Pro Max so definitely wonā€™t be upgrading phone this year or possibly next year as well and currently have a series 4 Apple Watch but maybe think Iā€™ll keep the 4 and wait for the price to drop next year

1 Like

I donā€™t do the kind of sports itā€™s aimed at so I felt like it would forever be judging me. ā€œWe could be climbing a mountain but instead weā€™re watching Gilmore Girls. Again.ā€ :laughing:

Plus none of my existing bands would work with it. So Iā€™ve ordered an S8.

8 Likes

I usually am the ā€œlatest and greatestā€ buyer but itā€™s just too expensive and I actually donā€™t like the design so Iā€™m S8ā€™ing this year.

1 Like

I decided to purchase the Apple Watch Ultra and it should arrive launch day. I currently have a Series 4, which has damage from a bike crash last year so wanted to upgrade at some point.

One of the main reasons I got the Ultra was the battery life. It annoys me that the watch currently cant last longer than a day. I also do like the flatter display and larger watch face. The action button will be useful. Whilst I donā€™t do any of the extreme sports listed for the watch, I do live in a village almost on top of the Pennines. There is a slight change the high decibel alert would be useful if I take a tumble when on the moors.

Is it worth Ā£850? Probably not, but I wonā€™t be upgrading for a good few years (like I hadnā€™t from the series 4) so hopefully it will retain its worth. If I donā€™t like it on delivery, I will return it though.

7 Likes

While I hope you really enjoy your Ultra it really needs to be pressed that even my current Series 4 and my partnerā€™s Series 5 last far more than a day - we both sleep track with them.

6 Likes

My ļ£æWatch 4 battery lasts over 24 hours too, but Iā€™ve just taken a look at the Ultra, and I regularly hike, and dive when I can (PADI Advanced OW) and Iā€™m temptedā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m using series 5. While Iā€™m tempted to upgrade, itā€™s probably not worth it because my current ļ£æWatch works flawlessly and Iā€™m fine with its battery life. So Iā€™m actually looking for an excuse to purchase the new one :smiley:
A question about the temperature sensor - I think that could be really useful, for example for tracking sleep temp like the Oura ring. But as far as I can see - its main purpose would be to better track womenā€™s health (base temp, ovulation, etc). Any thoughts on this? If its application is limited, it would make less sense for men to buy it.

I donā€™t think it makes less sense for men to buy it but it might result in more women buying it.

Anyway, we donā€™t know yet whether it will be limited to womenā€™s health. Apple hinted at other uses for the sensor during the event.

1 Like

Gave me a chuckle. This is Apple weā€™re talking about who arenā€™t afraid to sell three-four year old hardware at launch day price.

Can I ask how? My S6 barely lasts the day. I charge it for about an hour in the evening, but by the next evening it says charge before sleepā€¦

I think it will still track sleep temperature, although not sure how useful for men

1 Like

I really like the look of it, but donā€™t have much use for it any more. I found my S5 battery struggled when I was doing long distance running, and would need charging before and after to avoid it dying on me. Had I still been doing that kind of running, I might have been tempted.

So instead, I nearly went for an S7 from the refurb store but ended up going for the S8.

1 Like

My S5 only just scrapes through the day. I donā€™t think I use it particularly heavily either.

1 Like

Must admit Iā€™m looking at one as I work in a commercial kitchen so me watch get bashed around a bit

Then I especially wouldnā€™t buy it. Just get an SE with AppleCare+

Unless I misunderstood commercial kitchens and loud SOS alarms and dual-band GPS for pinpoint accuracy is essential :laughing:

1 Like

Have you considered the stainless steel ones? Ceramic and sapphire are like magic. Stainless steel is much more durable too.

I have the SS Series 6 and both it and my 12 pro have not a single mark nor scratch on them. I donā€™t baby them. They get knocked around, banged, dropped. But theyā€™re both still pristine. Aluminium and non-sapphire displays (or phones prior to the Ceramic Shield) never came close to this level of cosmetic durability.

My series 0 Apple Watch back in the day got scuffed pretty quickly, both the casing and the screen, but it was a sports model.

Honestly a bit like an BMW SUV I think the ā€˜extreme sportsā€™ angle is more to attract people who think about doing those things than people who actually do them. Which is a larger crowd!

Climbing with it on, itā€™ll get scratched. The 85 decibel alarm is pretty pointless (thatā€™s way too quiet for a personal safety alarm!). I doubt many scuba divers will put their lives in the hands of an Apple Watch and 60 hours battery isnā€™t enough for serious hikers who also still need to carry a compass (canā€™t lay an Apple Watch against a map!).

Pictures of people climbing mountains and diving with it is good aspirational marketing, but the crowd is really tech lovers whoā€™ll use it to pay for their lattes :smile:

8 Likes