Apple Pay Cash

lol maybe… but
IMG_3E3F71915562-1

If you go into Settings > General > Language & Region, it’s probably set to US in there? That’s how people could get access to the ‘cards’ section in the Wallet before UK banks were added to Apple Pay (before that you just got loyalty cards in there, once Apple Pay was released in the US you could set your phone to US region and get the option to try to add your cards. It failed, of course, but people enjoyed trying every card they owned. People are weird.)

Nope always been UK…

Yeah I am all UK and I also have it in the wallet. I have had it I think since 11.2 beta 2. If you set your Apple ID to US it allows you to register but then asks for US details.

Does anyone know if it’ll be Discover/Diner’s Club in the UK? This causes enough acceptance issues in the US (most shops take it in the US, but not necessarily as contactless), I imagine it would be a disaster here…

I think if it affects anything it will be payM for iOS users. I can see Apple Pay cash being more impactful.

1 Like

Apple Pay cash actually sets up a seperate card in your wallet app. That’s where any money you receive or send will end up and you can actually use it as a normal card on terminals that are set up for Apple Pay payments. Those funds are transferable back into your debit card if that’s where you’d rather have it.

If they accept contactless D-PAS (Discover/Diner’s Club). That’s a huge if even in the US. I hope they use Visa, MasterCard or Amex when they launch here…

1 Like

:thinking: I didn’t know that, I thought Apple would have been more sensible with this decision.

1 Like

•Discover

Yes, Discover supports Apple Pay for the cards they issue. I’m not quite sure what that has to do with Apple Pay Cash using the Discover/Diner’s Club network (it is not issued by Discover, but by Green Dot).

The network is supported in Apple Pay fine, that’s not the issue. It’s that contactless acceptance for the Discover/Diner’s Club AID (D-PAS - D-Payment Application Specification) is rather poor. Thus, just because somewhere takes contactless, doesn’t mean they’ll take Apple Pay Cash issued in the US.

Acceptance here in the UK is even worse (if anywhere at all, some places take it contact but I’m not sure anywhere takes it contactless). Thus I hope they pick a different network when they bring Apple Pay Cash to the UK. How is this thought related to the fact that Discover Bank (and the Discover/Diner’s Club Network) supports Apple Pay? It’s merchant support I care about.

I think I got lost in the rabbit warren of Apple Support so probably haven’t answered your question at all :frowning:

I think so :slight_smile: the issue isn’t about Apple support but merchant support. In the US Apple Pay Cash uses the Discover network (called Diner’s Club here), which a lot of shops don’t support for contactless (even shops that take Discover/Diner’s Club and take contactless often don’t take their contactless).

It seems a silly choice compared to Visa/MasterCard/American Express. I hope Apple chooses one of the big three networks when they bring it to the UK.

Is that more clear? Sorry to confuse!

I would be really surprised if they went with Discover in the UK as it’s just not a widely accepted UK card.

I would say 99% it will be Visa or MasterCard and 70% it will be MasterCard based on its acceptance or start up type prepay card options. Could easily be a partnership directly with MC or possibly wirecard. Hopefully it doesn’t take an age to come out.

I would be surprised, but anything is possible. Discover did buy Diner’s Club and merge the networks (which was easy, as neither had EMV at the time of the purchase, so they’ve always been a single EMV AID) for a reason, and this could be a good opportunity to make an international push and get merchants to rush to support it - lots of merchants will want to support anything Apple does (of course, as we saw in the US when Apple Pay launched and a few disabled contactless to stop people from using it, it can go both ways).

Even in the US, while Discover is widely accepted, Discover contactless is… much less certain. Honestly, I suspect (but can’t prove of course) that Discover made a good deal specifically to try and improve Discover contactless support. They’ve already done this once - 10% cash back for a few months when they first came to Apple Pay.

I do, however, agree that MasterCard is most likely for the UK market. I’d put the odds higher than you. 75% are the odds I’d give it. 15% for Visa, 9% for Discover/Diner’s Club, and 1% for Amex or any other network.

Amex probably doesn’t want new four-party arrangements in Europe due to interchange fee caps. Unlike Discover/Diner’s Club, they have no huge need to improve acceptance (Superdrug still doesn’t take Amex contactless, but that’s an oddity).

UnionPay contactless is not pure EMV standard and seems unlikely, but remotely possible. Diner’s Club and UnionPay cards already exist in the UK market but none with contactless.

JCB doesn’t exist in the UK market, and whilst they have an EMV contactless standard, it is not widely deployed in any market (in Japan, FeLiCa, not EMV contactless, is widely used). This could be a chance to bring JCB to the UK market, but unlikely.

I can’t imagine even a trace chance for any other network (including LINK). LINK might be interested, but is too far from POS deployment readiness I would think.

Conclusion - yes, I agree, it’ll probably be a MasterCard :slight_smile:

They would have to support different networks in different countries… If they are interested in China, they would have no option but to use UnionPay as underlying tech there, acceptance of others is pretty much ignorable, and given how lucrative the market is, and that Chinese new year is in February and how common is to send red packets for the holidays digitally on WeChat/AliPay these days, I bet Apple would not want to miss that opportunity to capitalize.

Of course, I’m not denying that. But don’t bet on them using the most widely accepted network in any given country. They didn’t in the US…

The thing in the US sounds like a deal to popularize acceptance…However I don’t think they can afford to do that in many other places. Amex as the only option in Europe that can gain market share, but as you said yourself - very very unlikely…

Absolutely. I agree 100%. I could, on a long shot, see Discover/Diner’s Club here also, because Discover surely didn’t buy a network in Europe for nothing… but it’s been years and they’ve done nothing of meaning with it yet.

MasterCard almost certainly. Even Visa would surprise me a lot. The others I mentioned are… 5000/1 odds. Which have been known to happen.

It’s also worth remembering the Apple Pay cash functionality is as much about a holding account as it is a spendable card. It could just as easily be implemented as a holding/online account only in the UK.