Apple Music Vs. Amazon Music

Spotify can be free and it might accidentally happen that your adblock blocks ads, totally unintended behaviour! :smiley:

I liked spotify, but the price tag was too high for what I was getting from it.
I won’t touch anything Apple. :smirk_cat:
Google Music seemed a bit… off, I couldn’t easily move all of my stuff and somehow, I got discouraged easily.

What I really liked was last.fm :heart_eyes_cat: , but I honestly don’t understand what they are right now.

last.fm was really good back in the day but now its just crap, can’t remember the last time I used it.

1 Like

I’m a Spotify user personally and we used Apple Music for a little bit and the family plan is the same price as Apple Music (3 of us using it) so £14.99 I don’t think is a bad price.

Although Apple Music I hated the interface and their song selection seemed to be quite limited

I wasn’t a fan of Apple Music, the UI and experience just wasn’t upto the usual Apple standard. I’m currently using Amazon music on trial which is good, has a great music selection and as a Prime member its slightly cheaper than other offerings but I still might switch back to free Spotify when my trial ends.

1 Like

Prefer Spotify to Apple Music or amazon music.

I’ve switched to Apple Music from Spotify because Cellular Apple Watch. Apple Music is definitely way behind Spotify in terms of UI and available songs (or at least the songs I want to listen to).

I’ve got 6 months free with EE on mine and my partners phone and I’m hoping Apple will let third parties use the Cellular functionality by then!

1 Like

What songs do you find missing out of interest?

+1, I haven’t found anything missing from Apple Music so far(have switched from Spotify about 13months ago), but then again people have different behaviors…

I still use occasionally the free tier Spotify due its Smart-TV app being available there and thus making things easy for house-parties as I don’t have an AppleTV yet, and having a SmartTV & PS4, Apple TV feels a bit redundant so no immediate plans to update.

Spotify all the way for me. I find the curated playlists better than rival services, plus it has the “network effect” for music streaming with quite a number of friends on it. Finally, my amp has Spotify Connect, which makes like far easier than bluetoothing or airplaying every time I want to play music and provides excellent sound quality.

The exported list doesn’t format very well but 222 songs out of my Spotify Playlists were not available on Apple Music:

I mean I personally would assume a Stamp mistake rather than the songs aren’t there at all. Did you spot check a few?

We use Lizzen in slack to share music and sometimes if I share a song using an Apple Music link it won’t find the Spotify counter part and visa versa even though the songs are there in both.

1 Like

At the moment I pay for Google Play Music and I have a 3 month Spotify Premium trial going on, and in many ways I think Spotify probably has the better offering right now. I also have a 3 month trial of YouTube Red ongoing, which includes YouTube Music, and the rumor is that Google are about to merge Play Music and YouTube Music, which would likely, if done right, create an experience to rival Spotify Premium.

We will see what the future holds. I don’t particularly plan on paying multiple subscriptions so in a few months time I’ll have to bite the bullet and make a decision.

1 Like

Now you see, there’s my issue @simonb! I much prefer the Google Play Music app, it works better and doesn’t have weird bugs but as you say, generally, Spotify is much better in terms of selection. As you say, will be interesting to see where the merge goes.
I’m sad that YouTube Red hasn’t yet come to the UK. I would pay good money for it, even if only for Picture-In-Picture :joy:

I don’t currently pay for anything yet. That is something I plan to revaluate.

Oh, and on the actual topic, I do have Amazon music as it does have stuff neither Spotify or Play Music have :slight_smile: Don’t really use it though.

1 Like

I miss YouTube background playback!

A few years ago, back before the YouTube Red rebrand it was called Google play all access and it gave you GPM and YouTube (Music?) Beta, I think that’s what they referred to it as!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/thenextweb.com/insider/2014/11/20/youtube-music-key-now-available/%3Famp=1

But I agree, I’m super sad that we used to have Red (ish) features in the UK and now it’s gone :joy: hopefully it comes back here one day… With both YT & GPM it’ll beat Spotify hands down!

I don’t use Spotify anymore, I tried it for 3 months last year but I love uploading my own tunes to GPM, it’s incredibly useful :grinning:

1 Like

Google push YouTube Red very hard here in the US. I’ve seen TV adverts for it, and adverts in the movie theatres.

In the app, too. As soon as I landed and my phone realised I was here it was like “HEY DO YOU WANT A FREE TRIAL OF YOUTUBE RED???” as soon as I opened the app :joy:

At first it seemed like I needed a card with a US billing address to get on to it, but then I noticed the option to sign up with PayPal. I’m hoping now that I have it, they won’t take it away from me once I get back to the UK :grin:

I had to sideload the separate YT Music app though, as it’s geoblocked in the Play Store by country of registration. No big deal, jumped over to APKmirror and sorted it :sunglasses:

2 Likes

YouTube Red benefits stop when you connect from a non-US IP address, so even though you can sign up (even with an UK card) there isn’t much point unless you’re happy to be VPN’d all the time.

Personally I can’t see myself paying for YouTube Red until they improve discoverabilty. I am getting pretty tired of the same “Top 10 facts about…” or “Prank on girlfriend [GONE WRONG] [GONE SEXUAL]”… :roll_eyes:

I paid for Amazon Prime and I use amazon music which is, I think - included, some tracks aren’t unless you play but it has everything I need!

I don’t know if this if the best place to comment this or if it would be on a marketplace thread.
I think the packages you get with legacy bank accounts are all a bit boring/not really needed things, it would be great to get one that possible offered Apple, Amazon or Google play music :thinking:

I unashamedly love Apple Music, despite all its flaws.

Until recently I paid for both Apple Music & Spotify because I felt that Spotify had better playlists, but they’ve gradually become much worse for me because I don’t listen to “my” music in Spotify, so their algorithm obviously has very little to work against.

I’m also an Apple Sheep ™️ and try stay within the Apple ecosystem whenever I can. It works for me :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

I’ve just went back to Spotify after using Apple Music for 2 months or so - its playlists felt kinda “dull” and the recommendations were inferior to Spotify…

I imagine it wouldn’t be much of an issue if you spend time curating your collection manually, but I’m the total opposite - I rarely add anything to my collection and just rely on playlists & recommendations, and Spotify shines way more in that area.

As much as I’d like to love Apple Music (the integration with all the Apple ecosystem is definitely nice) it’s not there yet. :sob: