Android Pay comes to the Monzo current account!

Is Monzo the first UK Bank to launch Android ahead of Apple? If so :clap::clap::clap::clap:

13 Likes

Could be true. I have assumed (perhaps wrongly) that Monzo could chose the timeline to launch Android Pay once ready. You’re right though, maybe Google dictated that once it’s ready to go you have to launch it and agree dates etc.

Added just now and it looks OK. Adds a nice splash of colour to the pay app too :stuck_out_tongue:

I might even try it… not entirely sure getting a phone out is easier than getting a card out, but a big reason I didn’t use the phone before is I had a Monzo card and wanted the instant notification.

1 Like

Will we get 2 instant notifications now?
One from Android Pay and one from Monzo?

Will find out at lunch :smile:

1 Like

Seems so according to this post!
https://community.monzo.com/t/deciphering-the-teasers/25966/124?u=mark1

Yes you will.

They’ve just posted a FAQ page…

Small typo here:
Capture

On:

Is it just me, or does this answer not relate to the question?

Will Android Pay work with my Monzo prepaid card?
While the balances of the two accounts have changed, there’s been no “movement” of money between the banks, simply an exchange of electronic messages.

3 Likes

I was about to post that too - I just didn’t understand it.

Agree, I was just going to post about that.

1 Like

I second or third this too! :thinking:

oooops thanks all! :grimacing: :see_no_evil: we’re replacing this with a helpful/actually relevant answer as we speak!

4 Likes

Yep - both the Monzo notification and the Android Pay one comes through.

Note on the Monzo one there’s no difference to a normal transaction. It doesn’t even mention Android Pay.

Is this the best day of my year?..No…but it’s close :smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes

I agree. It’s got me wondering how Monzo will top this. What do you have planned for us for Christmas Monzo? :wink:

Thanks Colin! fixed!

1 Like

Do the NDAs prevent Monzo from saying whether we might have to wait a while or whether we could be getting it soon? On their Facebook post announcing Android Pay, they replied to a comment saying “We hope to add Apple Pay at some point in the future.”

That statement is frustratingly vague. “At some point in the future” could be years, many months, several months, just a few months, or just a few weeks or days. If we don’t know whether we’ll be waiting years, many months, or just a few months, we might move to competitors who already support Apple Pay right now. If we know it’ll likely be implemented in just a few months, we’ll be more likely to stick around.

Unfortunately that seems to be the nature of Apple NDAs

1 Like

We’re very keen to support other platforms to pay with your phone on the current account — we’re obviously not wanting to stop at Android :slight_smile: We can’t be more specific with specific platforms, but it’s definitely something customers want on the current account and therefore something we want too!

12 Likes

Could Monzo say “Apple won’t allow us to tell you when we might be able to support Apple Pay” or would that harm their relationship with Apple?