[Android] Biometric should fallback to PIN when it fails

We have a number of threads on this already too. The way Monzo do it on iOS I believe uses the iOS device passcode fallback, which isn’t the most seamless of methods when it comes to Touch ID, as the prompt only occurs after so many failed attempts. Face ID does too, except if it detects a mask it falls back instantly.

I think where the confusion stems though is that you don’t have to use the native fallback, and you can do something a little more seamless without much extra work. I’ll use a few gifs to explain what i mean.

Monzo’s implementation is fantastic if you’re using Face ID and wearing a mask. It’s the fastest way to get in. This is what that looks like:

Where it falls short is when your biometric sensor fails or isn’t as reliable. This is what that looks like with Monzo currently:

It’s this issue I believe @dominic2, and many of the other suggestions on this want addressing. There’s no reliable fallback here, nor one that can be manually activated like in other apps. To demonstrate what I mean here, I’ll use another gif of how Freetrade approaches this, which I believe is the sort of feature folk are requesting:
If the sensor fails, you’re presented with a cancel button, and can then enter a passcode. This is the approach most apps take. It’s not quite as seamless when wearing a mask though (But I believe it is possible to utilise both the native iOS fallback for masks, and the approach Freetrade take in this gif together).

There seems to be a lot of confusion when folk ask for this feature, and hopefully these gifs help to clear that up, because it’s a feature I want too.

Hi @dominic2, welcome to the community! This is a feature I want too! Other threads asking for this already exist and I’d recommend you vote on one of them here!

The latter is most appropriate, but to happen, the first one needs implementing too. Given the latter doesn’t have much traction, I’ll vote on your feature request here too and suggest you do the same. Hopefully a moderator can merge the threads.

3 Likes