Amazon Partnership

Item level transaction data would be cool - they currently have something like this with HSBC and Amazon business: https://www.amazon.co.uk/b2b/info/visa?layout=landing -

Being able to see how much I spend on under certain categories (books, computer equipment, random stuff etc. ) from Amazon would also be quite an eye opener

4 Likes

That would be amazing but it is only for Visa cards and not Mastercards, also only for business accounts not personal accounts :frowning:

@yas that would be an amazing integration. Big win for Monzo if they can get that for ordinary proles like us.

One thing that would help me out would be automatic charging in the local currency. I order from pretty much all the amazon sites (Iā€™m a big movie buff, and some films are only available in certain countries, or one country has a great special edition whilst the UK version is awful etc.) and amazon asks you to set the default currency of your card. This means I have to go in and change the default for every transaction to make sure Iā€™m able to take advantage of the perfect exchange rate on Monzo every time. This also means I canā€™t pre-order things on my Monzo card as amazon updates the default currency on all orders whenever you change it on one.
If amazon could recognise it was a Monzo card and always charge the local currency, regardless if I was ordering from .co.jp, .com, or .es that would certainly make it easier for me!

Other than that Iā€™d echo (see what I did there) there ideas here, Alexa skills, breakdown of items in transactions, knowing how much you had pre-ordered or, say, being charged in the next 14 days or something like that, would be useful.

Iā€™m a prime member and a big amazon user, so really happy to see integration. I know plenty of people have issues with amazon for tax reasons (which I donā€™t have a problem with, if you donā€™t like the tax laws lobby to change the tax laws, not to have amazon donate money they donā€™t have to which canā€™t actually happen because their shareholders have the right to sue them if theyā€™re not taking best advantage of all the tax laws) and workerā€™s rights reasons (a much better reason to dislike them, it does sound like it sucks to work in their warehouse) but ultimately theyā€™re one of the biggest names in the world and integrating with them shows that Monzo is a real part of the marketplace now. Much like people demand Netflix integration on their TVs and Spotify apps for their phones (both of which see a tiny amount of revenue going to creators compared with other distribution models) trying to avoid the behemoths of the marketplace just makes you a worse choice for most consumers.

3 Likes

To clarify, are you saying that unless you change an order so that youā€™re charged in local currency, Amazon does the conversion for you so youā€™re charged in GBP but using an exchange rate that theyā€™ve applied (& is worse than the rate that Monzo offers)?

Hmm, I thought it was possible to disable Amazon Currency converter. Iā€™m a fairly noob Amazon customer, so I never really had to try it out, but wouldnā€™t it be exactly what you want?

I had similar issue with Paypal, but I was able to disable paypalā€™s currency conversion for Monzo card and now paypal 99% of the times charges me in whatever currency I have to pay. That 1% are bugs or weird integrations, also not always Paypalā€™s fault.

2 Likes

When you order it asks what currency your card is in, it then uses that data across all amazon sites the next time it processes any transaction. So I could order something from .com and set it to USD but then forget that a month ago I pre-ordered something from .es so when that processes amazon charge my card in USD converted from EUR at their own rate.
What this means practically is that I only order something that can ship immediately, and donā€™t use my Monzo card for any of my UK pre-orders (of which there are many) in case Iā€™ve just changed the card to USD for an American order and not remembered to switch it back.

I had similar but went in settings to toggle the currency conversion on/off

Iā€™m not sure if you can do that, but that would only be what you want if you were only ever paying with Monzo. Sometimes when Iā€™m light on cash Iā€™ll use a credit card, and amazonā€™s own conversion usually beats my credit cardā€™s, so then Iā€™d be going in a playing with settings to allow me to turn conversion on and off, so just swapping problems.

1 Like

Itemised transactions please

3 Likes

Have you guys seen this article (http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/16/amazon-is-buying-whole-foods-in-a-deal-valued-at-13-point-7-billion.html)? Amazon is buying Whole Foods! I guess it only applies to America but Iā€™ve bought groceries off amazon before (mostly world foods/seasonings etc), maybe there could be some sort of Alexa integration for recurring grocery purchases? Or a reminder to pick up more food/drinks if youā€™ve not done in awhile?

3 Likes

Here are the latest figures:

How much should it be?

Here in the UK, the citizens have decided that between 30 and 45% of GDP should be spent on public services. The exact rates per tax, allowances and benefits, and amount raised or borrowed all vary of course, and the spit between public services changes. The citizens of other countries choose to spend less, or more. But the overall proportion is quite steady for a long time if you take 5-10 year averages.

Economically active companies (and individuals) who find ways to pay virtually zero corporation tax (and income tax) year after year are not contributing to the public purse, so that other companies (and individuals) have to pay more.

Virtually zero UK corporation tax year after year is not fair.

1 Like

Companies pay tax on profit. Amazon doesnā€™t actually make much profit (relative to revenue).

The headlines would have you believe they are avoiding tax, but theyā€™re simply reinvesting into their business, which is not as morally abhorrent as the media would portray. You, I, or any other business owner would do the same. Suspect they wonā€™t always make small profits thoughā€¦

3 Likes

While I would like to see more tax paid by larger corporations I donā€™t mind if it is reinvestment as oppose to avoidance.

These companies also employ a lot of people and those people pay tax and have money to spend in and around the UK.

The U.K. government just need to get a lot better at closing avoidance loop holes and prosecuting aversion.

4 Likes

Agreed with you hereā€¦ and they bring product to the market which doesnā€™t usually get the foundation to sell but has the chance to jump due to amazon customer base. Both international and local

1 Like

Corporation tax is only paid on profits. Amazon make barely no profit as theyā€™re a growth stage company who constantly reinvest (much like Monzo). This doesnā€™t mean Amazon donā€™t pay any taxes, thereā€™s VAT on sales and thereā€™s Income Tax and Employee and Employer National Insurance on staff costs.

Corporation tax is deliberately designed to encourage avoidance, as societies benefit far more from reinvestment than they do from profit-taking, and itā€™s deliberately a very small part of the picture, making up less than 5% of the UK tax take. On top of that it canā€™t be relied on for revenue as itā€™s highly cyclical (as profits obviously disappear in a recession).

3 Likes

This is something I should remember I donā€™t feel itā€™s communicated very well by the press. Guess it doesnā€™t make for a good story.

1 Like

This isnā€™t unique to corporation tax. All direct tax revenue falls in a recession. Most indirect taxes will too. Maybe something like alcohol duty revenue will increase however.