Amazon Partnership

Amazon is not a great company when it comes to customer privacy, this is a big concern to me personally

Iā€™d recommend waiting to see how Monzo manages userā€™s privacy for this integration before worrying about that - I totally understand your concern but it would be a waste of time to discuss the potential issues & then find that Monzo put the right controls in place :slight_smile:

If there are particular controls that youā€™d like Monzo to implement, Iā€™d be interested to hear about those & why you think theyā€™re important.

As a partnership it should be beneficial for everybody and solve customer problems so I think the obvious choice for the integration feature is customer service tasks/processes. Their mobile experience is appalling compared to yours so if you could funnel any amazon requests through your customer ops that would be great.
Another option is to integrate the gift card / monzo.me stuff. i.e. have the ability to send someone Ā£30 with an intention to spend that on amazon for a birthday.
What would be good as well is to offer me some neat stuff based on the fact that I am a Prime customer. Amazon does not know that i use prime and shop with tea makers london but Monzo knows and can offer discount if i switch to buying via Amazon.

2 Likes

If Iā€™m understanding this correctly, I think Iā€™d be against something like this. It sounds like Monzo would then be in the position of encouraging people to ditch smaller merchants and use Amazon instead. :scream:

2 Likes

Interesting ideas - thanks for sharing!

Correct to an extent, as this has to be thought through better.
What i was referring to is that I buy tea from Tea Makers of London through their website. I use their vouchers etc etc and free delivery when ordering above Ā£25 and check out via PayPal. They are a reasonable small merchant established in the UK.

At the same time they offer their own teas via amazon marketplace. And incentivising myself to check out via amazon while probably saving them some money on logistics does not sound bad to me.

2 Likes

Donā€™t think anudbodu has mentioned this yet, but Iā€™d like to see my amazon gift card balance in app.

Often have some forgotten balance on amazon which could make or break my decision to buy something - always nice to know where my money is tied up.

Think this would apply for all store gift cards - knowing their balance in app.

:tada:

5 Likes

I would like to see:

• cashback paid into monzo account for purchases made through amazon.
  • order updates on the transaction page with notifications when amazon order has been dispatched.
  • Quick Re-order button on transaction page to purchase previous orders.
  • amazon Alexa skill with transaction history and current balance
  • receipt upload to Amazon drive or even better google drive :slight_smile:
1 Like

Donā€™t we already have the Amazon app notifications for that? I like all the other ideas you suggested since I would love to get detailed info on order/ re-order something quickly/ delay a recurring order etc. but I think Monzo shouldnā€™t be expected to do all the work for Amazon like seller messages/order updates.

Iā€™m fine with just knowing what Iā€™ve spent stuff on/ knowing the financial bit of things. Iā€™d imagine some people would be reluctant to hand over everything for Monzo to manage for privacy and all that (I have no idea what they actually share, but then again Iā€™m not really security-conscious). And possibly all this could be applied to other small businesses or sellers eventually? So everyone regardless of whether they shop at Amazon or not can make use of these features. Not sure how itā€™ll work out but Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll give us more info in the future

5 Likes

I hope you do more thorough research before you do any investing. What you say about Amazon is arrant nonsense.
See

They manipulate their trading to recognise as much as possible back in the good old low tax charging USofA and avoid oaying tax in their trading countries as much as possible.

3 Likes

Iā€™d love to see an Alexa skillset. Some thoughts on potential usesā€¦

• Basic commands to enquire about my balance.
  • Cancel a direct debit
  • Pay Bob Ā£30 for the taxi last night
  • Setup an alert to tell me if my balance goes below Ā£100
  • Pay my credit card bill, water bill, gas bill, etc
2 Likes

Actually you & @tommy5dollar are both right, Amazon do deliberately avoid making a profit & they also use dubious means to minize the amount of tax that they pay -

Source.

So Tommyā€™s comment wasnā€™t nonsense.

2 Likes

Actually, what youā€™ve said here is nonsenseā€¦ America has a corporation tax of 35%, one of the highest in the world, which is why countries AVOID repatriating profits to America (Apple have more than $200bn off-shore).

Amazon do not do this though, Amazon simply re-invest nearly all of their profit and since corporation tax is only levied on profit they pay barely any corporation tax.

What you (and presumably the article) are referring to is their previous attitude towards VAT, whereby they fulfilled sales from Luxembourg to avoid paying the higher British VAT rate. Whilst this is partially true, it doesnā€™t actually make Amazon any money per se, VAT is a tax levied on the consumer through higher prices. Dodging VAT allows you to sell more (as you can be cheaper) but it doesnā€™t allow you to keep any money as any VAT collected is always passed onto the government.

4 Likes

What @tommy5dollar said may have been correct sometime in the past but they have been reporting profits for at least two years. I should also acknowledge that they are now allegedly trading in the UK with a UK taxable entity so may be on their way to paying U.K. taxes. However I donā€™t regard them as a wholesome company avoid buying anything from except as a last resort.

3 Likes

Iā€™d like to see similar consumer protection to credit card usage, so in the event of a dispute the Monzo card is immediately reimbursed (your customers will, after all, be honest) whilst the dispute is settled.

1 Like

Would like to see additional info too - maybe a link to what you purchased

1 Like

Well, I disagree. Since this an ideas forum I think it is quite important to put this on the table first thing. Then, as a community we can give our opinions, but as the bank i expect to use my future daily banking I expect Monzo to put my privacy as priority number 1 in any partnershipā€¦ and Iā€™m sure I am not the only one with this expectation.

I completely agree that this is important.

What Iā€™m hoping this thread doesnā€™t turn into is ā€œwhat if Amazon do x, y, z with my data?ā€ which would be a waste of time if they donā€™t ask for it or do those things & instead, if users have concerns they can ask Monzo to ā€œensure that theyā€™re protected against x, y, zā€ because theyā€™re worried about ā€œā€¦ā€

The difference is that, that keeps the conversation constructive, which means that it gives Monzo ideas that they can act upon. Of course, if anyone would prefer to simply complain in advance anyway then go ahead :slight_smile:

Ultimately Iā€™m not worried because I trust Monzo take good care of my data, see this post & this one, for example but I appreciate the fact that others might not be so confident.

Similar to others, for me it would be richer transactional information. So each Amazon entry in Monzo would pull the order info so I can see exactly what it is (instead of currently having to check Amazon and then make a note on each entry). It would also be great if each entry provided a direct link to the tracking information for an order.

The predictive stuff for any pre-orders or Prime subscription, Subscribe and Save etc for budgeting / forecast purposes would also be really great from a money management point of view.

1 Like

Sorry if someone has already posted, but how about an Alexa app? It would be useful to learn your balance by asking Alexa and as and when new services come on-line, they can also be added. ā€œAlexa, pay Barclaycard Ā£150ā€ etc.

1 Like