Amazon have purchased Ring (Video Doorbell Company)

(Simon B) #1

This is clearly a shot at Google/Nest, who now produce similar devices under the Nest banner.

I understand Ring are a market leader in this field, but already being in the Nest ecosystem I’d be more likely to buy the Nest product.

Does anyone have one of these video doorbells? I feel like they might be more common in the US than here.

(Simon B) #3

I’ve never actually seen one (apart from on the shelf at Best Buy) but I assumed you could make them somewhat incognito.

I’d rather have something ring my phone compared to the obnoxious doorbell I have in my flat right now. I realise I could just buy and install a less obnoxious doorbell, but if I have to go to all that effort I’d like to replace it with tech :grin: - ideally something with an API.

I’ve got Netgear Arlo. Does an alright job. Handy becuase the cameras are not wired, reasonably sensitive of movement and fairly discreet.

I thought Amazon had launched their own camera/wireless key product. Maybe this is just buying out a competitor.

The Ring adverts are truly annoying.

I have Arlo integrated to Alexa via IFTTT.

Aren’t the windows open?!

(Tony Hoyle) #8

The ring doorbells came from a Kickstarter called doorbot and the hardware hasn’t changed internally much since. Poor WiFi antenna, and underpowered so it takes them several seconds to detect motion… uploaded to a server then supposed to notify your mobile but often takes 30-60 seconds to do so. Basically what you have is a doorbell that tells you that callers just gave up and left :stuck_out_tongue:

I was waiting for nest to produce theirs so I could rip the ring doorbell out… but if Amazon can sort out the server side it might even become useful. Can’t fix the rubbish motion detect without new hardware though.

(Ben) #9

I backed ‘Ding’ on Kickstarter which is similar, though no camera. I don’t want to pretend I’m in, when I’m not. Having a door bell alert my phone is all I need!

(Change Works) #11

Lets you see who you’re not answering the door to. I like that. :ok_hand::+1: