2020 iPhones to have 5G

With this in mind, if you were planning on getting a new iPhone next month when the 2019 ones launch, will you still do so or wait another year?

• Still upgrading this year
  • Holding out until 2020 or beyond
  • Done with iOS, moving to Android

0 voters

You missed an ā€˜iPhones suckā€™ option. :wink:

7 Likes

I swapped from iPhone to Pixel 3a this year, so itā€™ll be at least 2021 until I consider changing. The reason I swapped was due to the cost, so unless Apple drop the price Iā€™m going to stay with Android (and Google).

2 Likes

I only buy a new iPhone if a compelling feature is released or my phone dies. I came up with that rule after I bought every iPhone before the 4S but when back to uni so had no money.

I skipped the 5ā€™s and I got a iPhone 6 for the NFC chip. I skipped the rest for 3.5 years until it fell apart and bought an iPhone X.

A 5G iPhone may make me upgrade depending how good the signal is where I live on the edge of the Pennines. I get a poor 4G signal as it is. If not, I canā€™t see anything compelling enough to make me think of upgrading.

1 Like

Youā€™re staying with Android.

1 Like

Iā€™m not expecting Apple to have a good year, iPhone wise.

The leaks donā€™t seem to show much meaningful difference from last year.

Which means not much meaningful difference from 2017.

FTFY

1 Like

Yawn

1 Like

I started with iPhone 5 was my 1st iPhone and upgraded in feb to XR and never been bothered re 3* 4* etc :wink:

Thereā€™s hardly any 5g coverage yet anyway.

I had a look at ee and Vodafone both where I am now (NE London zone 3) and where Iā€™m moving to shortly (SE London zone 4); zero 5g coverage in both.

Just bought a Huwaei P30 Pro (no 5g) as it will take ages for coverage to become widespread.

1 Like

I upgraded to the XS last year.
I feel this year is going to be very meh from apple.

Iā€™ll likely upgrade to the 2020 version of the iPhone XR. If only so I have access to 5G for the foreseeable future + the phone will hopefully have USB C instead of lightening.

Support works into the cost as well keep in mind, so they actually work out about the same price or cheaper for a comparable phone.

The other option would be that Apple drop support for phones sooner like android and pump out more phones to keep up the phone cycling.

Iā€™m not expecting to change phone for at least four years or more with an iPhone.

At least in the US, Iā€™m expecting 5G to be about as useful as having an aerial on my phone. I donā€™t buy any claim that itā€™s going to do anything meaningful to speed for most people. I hope itā€™ll improve things at concerts and conventions, but thatā€™s about it. The US cell operators are just terrible, so expecting anything is a joke.

Still getting a new iPhone anyway, though.

It should prove quite useful in rural areas, providing better speed and latency at longer distances.

1 Like

I switched to Android last month after 12 years of using iPhones. I donā€™t really regret switching at all! The S10+ is great. And I wasnā€™t too bothered about waiting for 5G - it seems Three will be spreading the rollout over 3 years, so itā€™ll be more established by the time my contract is up :slight_smile:

1 Like