1969 banking - with cards replacing cash and cheques

Quite interesting to see card-based payments being trialed all the way back in 1969.

7 Likes

Loved Tomorrow’s World.

4 Likes

The concerning piece in this video for me, is the part where the customer authorises the transaction before the shop enters the transaction value.

Would be the equivalent of entering your PIN and then letting shop type in any number they choose. Though of course, you will be present at the time for that transaction.

Interesting video though. Thanks for posting.

2 Likes

Different times back then, everyone pretty much trusted everyone else. Wouldn’t happen these days :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Not sure that was TW - where was Raymond Baxter? R-

In the US this does sometimes happen. I’ve been to supermarkets where as the cashier is scanning you swipe your card and sign in advance so you can just take your stuff and leave at the end.

1 Like

It is Tomorrow’s World, however, Derek Cooper is the narrator, giving Raymond a rest :grin:

2 Likes

The computer looks be an IBM S/360. Apparently the CPU (double H shaped unit) weighed over 7 tonnes.

A raspberry pi could emulate about a dozen of them simultaneously…

2 Likes

It’s all those cables.

Reminds me of my first employer’s telephone switchboard in reception, 1982 :joy:

1 Like

I had a summer job while at university as an Amdahl 470V/6 operator. It was an IBM S/370 clone in a rather flashy (at the time) red and white.

1 Like

You mean there was actually colour back then? :rofl:

And there’s me thinking I was raised in black and white :grin:

4 Likes

:smile::smile::rofl: I remember asking my Mum when I was about 10, if everything was black & white when she was little (easy assumption judging by the old films I’d watched growing up!), I remember her roaring with laughter! I’ve been asked the very same question as an adult, by 3 different kids! :rofl::rofl::rofl: - they must think I’m as old as the Pharoh’s! So funny to think the tables are now turned! :smile::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes