When will Monzo support Apple Pay?

I had a very similar thought yesterday.

I also wondered whether anything “new” would be coming in iOS 12 with regards to Apple Pay with Monzo spearheading its initial release. Something like that would certainly account for Monzo being so much more tight-lipped about it than, say, other banks have been who have seemingly at least been able to say it’s coming rather than total radio silence.

Only problem is, I can’t exactly envisage what it would be. Maybe it could be some sort of much tighter integration into iOS similar to what we’ve seen with Heallth and Home apps. Or maybe Apple are making some big technical changes that the banks on boarding process and Monzo will be utilising that or some other technical changes that are coming which Monzo are holding out for.

I literally have no idea but certainly not beyond the realms of possibility.

1 Like

First uk bank to have Apple Pay cash?

Edit: that was just an example of something Apple are doing. I don’t expect that to happen

Monzo won’t be releasing Apple Pay until at least iOS 22.3

8 Likes

Monzo won’t be releasing Apple Cash, it’s too difficult for them to implement.

emoji + #tags = easy

Apple Pay + Apple Cash = too hard

4 Likes

They are waiting for the next millenium to rule out any Y3K bug :wink:

3 Likes

Monzo won’t be fixing any YK3 bug, it would be easier to just close down Trollol

1 Like

I know most of it is in jest, but I think it’s wrong to imply a lack of development ability. If Monzo can, like some other new banks, effectively do more to change banking in a couple of years than the legacy banks have in 20, I think that proves a certain amount of competency.

Whatever is the hold up will be for a specific reason that I’m sure will become clear in due course.

2 Likes

I still think that this is the most likely explanation personally -

& since prepaid (whose users couldn’t have accessed AP if it was activated) just closed down, Apple Pay could be right around the corner :crossed_fingers:

12 Likes

Agree, and let’s assume given it wasn’t a day-after-shutdown reveal, that they can only start certification proper after prepay shut down, so we’re now just waiting for Apple? Fingers crossed for the impending resolution of this endless thread!

Yes, Monzo are definitely willing and capable, the Google Pay setup flow had some single-use out-of-band text messages and branding in the gPay app that intrigued me technically at the time (though I don’t remember it all now). I imagine the “extras” needed to technically support Apple Pay are of similar complexity, if not identical.

I like this conspiracy theory - it would be a massive coup to have Monzo host everyone in the UK’s Apple Cash deposits!

Why am I glued to this ridiculous thread? I’ve never owned an Apple product in my life!

7 Likes

Guys can we change the subject now coz all this Apple Pay chat is getting boring, let’s talk about the weather I mean just look at it out there.

2 Likes

I’d like to think they won’t do a big announcement, just post a gif here saying it’s today.
That’s why I keep looking :joy:

1 Like

Not here bro

I know this discussion seems pretty pointless really but people are watching this thread for updates so now that, that’s cleared up, lets get back on topic please :sun_with_face:

or a “Yippeee, Garmin Pay” GIF with a note underneath saying “we hope to introduce Apple Pay soon, sorry we can’t give you a date. Samsung users stay tuned.” :wink:

1 Like

Free Fries Friday haha

2 Likes

1 Like

See now if only Monzo had Apple Pay, we could have had free food… well those of us traveling in the US of A.

1 Like

Instead of An apple a day keeps the doctor at bay, this is more a case of an Apple a day leads to more doctor visits due to eating too much :wink:

1 Like

Now, that’s what I call catchy!

1 Like

This happened to me at a Tesco petrol station too! I had to push my brain SO hard to remember my pin number. What a nightmare.

2 Likes