What are YOU looking forward to in 2020?

So, now that you’ve learned a bit about what we’ll be doing here at Monzo in 2020, how about your good selves?

I’ve got flights booked to Los Angeles and Minneapolis for April/May, where amongst other things, I’ll be giving a presentation about Prince at a conference at the University of Minnesota :raised_hands: And hoping to attend the annual Prince Celebration at Paisley Park.

That aside, I’m helping my cousin turn a flat he owns into an Airbnb. The two of us, and several of our nieces and nephews had great fun going in there last weekend ripping out all the shelves, kitchen units and the old carpets. And I’m helping turn it into a smart home, that’s as self-service as possible (hence why I was asking about Smart Locks the other day). It’s a fun project and I think it’ll probably earn him more than a long term rental based on local Airbnb stats. So I’m looking forward to how that progresses.

Games wise, I’ve got Yakuza 5, Yakuza 6, possibly Yakuza 7 (no Western release announced yet) and The Last of Us Part II to look forward to playing, and I’m hoping to take some other kind of holiday later in the year that’s more stress-free, since I’ll probably spend the first part of our LA/Minneapolis trip worrying about doing my presentation :joy:

So how about you all?

5 Likes

I’m looking forward to using custom categories in Monzo. Although I’m guessing I should save that for a 2021 or 2022 topic.

3 Likes

Looking forward to some new features for iOS version of Monzo, they’ve been lacking since I joined in October.

1 Like

Oh and a holiday, saving money and paying off my debt lol

1 Like

At the moment I’m looking forward to seeing the sun again before 9am and warmer days. I’m not a winter person

2 Likes

Too long in America! Get this guy back to the London office.

Hoping to go travelling for a few months before I turn the big :three::zero:

1 Like

2020 should be a fun year, we’ve got the Olympics coming up plus the Euros where I’m sure we’ll all be excited about it coming home until we inevitably get knocked out.

Personally I already spend quite a bit of time in Austria so I’ll be continuing that plus I’ll be visiting Amsterdam (I managed to get one of those mythical cheap Eurostar tickets) and attending a wedding in Jamaica.

I’ll also be back at Glastonbury this year, I’ll be going skiing soon and I’ll be attending my very first Formula One Grand Prix in Austria.

My calendar is already pretty packed until July :dizzy_face:

1 Like

I am looking forward to all the holidays I’ve booked. Yes I know that sounds generic, but towards the end of 2019 I have suffered from quite a lot of stress and associated mental health issues. It turns out one of the outlets I was using to cope was booking holidays and I’ve now looked at the calendar for the year and realised I have quite a few to look forward to :slight_smile:

Hoping 2020 is better than 2019 for everyone.

Looking forward to earning interest on my new "penny a day” Pot.
I love seeing in my daily transactions the transfer of such small amounts.
Yesterday it was 9p, today it was 10p. Guess what it will be tomorrow ?
And at at the end of 2020 ?

1 Like

I’m doing the save the date and weekly spending and it’s cool watching it build up

How does that work :question:

Save the date adds together the digits of the date every day and adds the total to a pot. So today 10/01/20 = 31p. It’s a nice easy one

Weekly is £1 in week 1, £2 in week 2 etc all the way to £52 at the end of the year. Not sure how long I’ll be able to keep that going but gonna try

With any luck, passing my exam on Wednesday and starting an internship in my dream industry in the summer

1 Like

What’s the exam and what’s your dream industry?

The exam is Advanced Statistics for Economics, part of my degree. Internship is with Network Rail. I really want to be involved in the transport industry, specifically rail. So its a great opportunity to get some experience.

6 Likes

Good luck :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Thank you. Wishing you all the best for the year ahead.

1 Like

Taking control of my debt and savings.

I know that the general rule is to pay off debts before saving, but the debt interest is so low and I have things I want to purchase without having to take out more debt so I’m saving and very excited for it!!

Oh and Guns n Roses in London!! Stupidly excited for that!!!

3 Likes

Hopefully Liverpool finally winning the league!!!

2 Likes

I’m finally moving out this year, so I’m super excited about that :tada: Moving out the tiny village I live in to an actual city is going to be awesome!

Also super excited to start the next year of my degree, so far it’s been mega slow and I’m ready to ramp things up :muscle:

3 Likes