We've started reporting to Experian

So the same as the comment above then

1 Like

At least for me, Iā€™m ā€˜obsessedā€™ with credit because it improves my situation about getting a mortgage, and because house prices in the UK are almost utterly unaffordable for my generation, I need all the help I can get.

5 Likes

Credit report isnā€™t a big factor in getting a mortgage, itā€™s affordability :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does Monzo have any plans to start reporting joint accounts and their respective usage and financial connections to the CRAs? #jointaccountparity

Itā€™s can be a major deciding factor if you have any missed payments, CCJs, or defaults.

Not sure if you read the blog post in full but thatā€™s something they are working on next (along with reporting loans).

No, I couldnā€™t be bothered. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hereā€™s the relevant section :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Not really no but itā€™s the same as most people are saying if they report to more thatā€™s great.

Thatā€™s great news. So all this time using Monzo, does that mean I havenā€™t built up my credit making purchases or bills with my Monzo card?

No - weā€™ve been reporting credit information to TransUnion for a long time now. There are multiple credit reference agencies, and your ā€œCredit Scoreā€ depends on which one/s any lender might be using.

Your scenario would only be true for lenders that donā€™t use TransUnionā€™s data at all.

2 Likes

Credit is a very funny thing the thing is all the credit agents donā€™t all ways have the same score one could be higher and the offer might be lower it all deon the person you are trying to get credit from and what agency they use and it also depends on all offer factors as well.

I canā€™t see that the hundred or so people here that are actively interested in credit reports and scoring are representative of the 3.7 million + monzo customers, or that an entire generation has the same obsession.

I would guess the vast majority like 99% of the generation donā€™t know much about CRAs or they even exist. Whilst some may know of a credit score I donā€™t think itā€™s a common thing to be checking it and I donā€™t think the UK has the obsession at getting a perfect score or putting it on their dating profile like the US.

I would say people having more interest in their financial lives would be a good thing.

The whole drowning under a mass of personal debt is not connected to being obsessed about credit reports or having an excellent score. The two are unrelated.

12 Likes

Well said

@TheoGibson you seem to have avoided the most important question here - who requires all of this CRA reporting nonsense and privacy-related time bomb in the first place? Why canā€™t I opt-out from getting my financial details being shared with scum (who will then charge me or show ads/offers to access my own data) provided I am OK with not getting access to credit?

3 Likes

Credit reports are free by law.

https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/statutory-report.html

https://www.transunion.co.uk/consumer-solutions

https://www.equifax.co.uk/Products/credit/statutory-report.html

2 Likes

They use all kinds of dark patterns to make you go to their commercial version (paid and or with ads) instead of the statutory credit report mandated by law. Unless you already know statutory credit reports are a thing you wouldnā€™t even find them or what they are by just browsing their main site.

2 Likes

Transunion doesnā€™t

But they also donā€™t seem to actually show us all the data they have either on a commercial or statutory report as Iā€™ve never seen my income data on there.

Edit: Iā€™m curious exactly what is included. I see Equifax have a SAR available separately to their credit report product. Iā€™m going to request mine.

5 Likes