We're working on a new look for the Monzo app

Hey @Peter_G Thank you so so much for writing this comprehensive feedback! :hot_coral_heart: I’ll try to answer your questions.

A credit card is effectively tied to your Personal Account, but I agree that because it’s not shown with your Monzo card behind it it can seem odd. I’ll check with our designers to see what they think.

Regarding “jumping” from account to account without going through the Pots: we thought about the same thing. There were some discussions around using force touch on iOS, or when swiping faster. We don’t have a plan for it right now, it’s very much a power user thing and we need first to validate the concept, and safely ship to all customers :+1:

I feel the same!! :heart_eyes: When I switch to my iPhone I find myself trying to pull the card down but it’s not implemented there yet! Really love this interaction.

In all user testing we’ve done tapping the card was always the main interaction people try to do. The plan is to have it expand/collapse the drawer, to reveal your card actions.

It will come :+1:

This will probably be a thing in the future… a not so near future.

I see why this would be useful but it breaks the current pattern. If the card is not visible at all then you can’t swipe left and right. Perhaps this is okay if you don’t have many Pots, but we’re building the app for a future where Monzo is your financial control centre, your money hub, so you’ll over time probably add many other types of financial objects into your Monzo app!

For the problem you’re describing it would probably make more sense to have a smaller version of the Balance component show at the top of the screen when you fully expand your drawer. But we’re not looking at this now.

The fade transition is already there, but the app has to fetch content each time. We’ll add pre-fetching soon.

No solution here will please to everyone. It’s very subjective. But I appreciate the sentiment.

We got you covered no worries! Cool thing about this, it’s all backend driven! All the progress bars and related numbers can be tweaked from the backend on the fly for any type of object, both in the Home screen and the Accounts screen :raised_hands:

This is the main reason why Joint Accounts aren’t supported just yet. The entire app was designed for only one account being selected at a time, and switching account would “flip” the entire app into a new context. With all accounts in one single view this breaks things. The current solution we’re implementing is adding the name of your “selected” account at the top of the Payments tab, and there’s a contextual switch there that allows you to change it on the fly. This is synced with the card you see on the Home screen to keep things consistent.

Have you been lurking on our Slack? :joy: This idea has been discussed internally as a future possibility. I personally think it would be great for many users, and it solves a bunch of problems. But it’s tricky… direct debits currently can only be set in your Personal Account because Pots don’t have account numbers. Sure enough we can give Pots account numbers, or allow direct debits to be moved from your account to any Pot. It all adds complexity. I think the biggest reason not to do this is that it makes the new user experience more difficult: after signing up for Monzo do you have two accounts? One main account, and one secondary account? Do you get two cards? How confusing. And if your salary goes into your secondary account (ie the Bills account) so that you keep your main account as a spending/cash account then do you need to always move money there? If you forget to move money, do your card payments decline? Long story short I really like the idea, and I think it has potential. But it’s not something trivial to implement and there’s definitely lots of smaller improvements we can bring in the short term :ok_hand:

14 Likes