We only accept "High street banks"

Call in sick and get down the job center

1 Like

I’ve had this before with something I needed paying into my Monzo account from a large company.

The form has come back to me Twice now with a note “Need to put the bank name in the “Bank Name” field - not reference”

I’m told that they understand now and it’s finally sorted - hopefully for you it’s just a familiarisation thing too.

3 Likes

Was thinking can an employer force you to take your wages as cash? If yes then I suppose they can technically say they’ll only pay into certain banks,

Out of interest if it’s a big company and you don’t mind naming them…

I’ve had a look at the employment act etc. (there’s a lot of it and I’m not a solicitor, so may have missed it) but can’t find anything that specifies the method of payment at all any more.

There used to be (~1960) a law that said employers must pay cash unless the employee asks for something different… but that’s not in force any more.

I suspect an employer could force you to take your wages as cash, but it’d be odd in this world where they’re just incurring overhead by doing so, whilst making it look like they may be avoiding paying tax…

1 Like

Actually I am pretty sure that if she requests being paid in cash instead they might decide to change their bank acceptance policy pretty quickly - there are so much more risks with cash that I’m sure they would prefer not to.

1 Like

Whilst it’s true to say it’s hard to find work, it’s also hard to find employees - we spend months sometimes looking.

It’s likely your new boss isn’t going to be very happy with an finance department that pushes out an employee after all that time spent interviewing people… and they have more leverage than you.

The option to walk away has to be real though otherwise you lose negotiating power - it’s not going in gung ho and threatening it’s pointing out the realities, saying ‘let’s work this out, but ultimately I don’t work for free’.

And yes some corporate cultures ultimately aren’t worth it. It really depends on your own circumstances and what industry though.

3 Likes

From memory, this is pretty busy High Street;

Monzo Bank Limited
38 Finsbury Square
London EC2A 1PX

5 Likes

CASS won’t work with all employers. Where I work they warn us to tell them directly as CASS won’t switch our salaries.

They did, however, switch my salary to Monzo with no issues.

Interesting. I thought the mechanics of CASS meant any attempted credit into the old bank account would be auto–forwarded to the new account.

I think there was some sort of notification to the sender, but something has changed so maybe your company mean that doesn’t happen and to save any lost credits in time, it’s best to tell them.

4 Likes

My employer seemed to be told as part of the CASS process. They asked me to confirm the new bank details before the next pay day.

1 Like

To be honest, I’m so particular about my finances I wouldn’t leave my salary to some NatWest intern.

Full switch CASS will redirect your old bank account to your new one at the same time they will also tell the sender about the new details. The sender can choose to not act on this though and the funds will continue to be redirected

2 Likes

As the rules now state 13 months redirection from the last redirected payment, if you get paid monthly to your old details you’d effectively be keeping the old account details going indefinitely, which just seems odd.

2 Likes

3 years minimum but then 13 months from the last payment on top of that

1 Like

So the old bank has to keep processing these payments for free?

Hmmmmm :smiling_imp:

No it’s handled at the BACS level. The old bank does not even see the payment requests anymore.

1 Like

As @anon23935806 says it’s all handled on bacs system automagically, it does the redirecting and the notifying of out of date details. The old bank doesn’t see anything, the new bank just sees it as normal