War in Ukraine

The Independent have long since become a click bait “news” source.

Of course you can’t apply for a visa in Ukraine - it’s an invaded country. You apply from a safe country once you flee there.

I am no fan of this government but honestly can we stop attacking the UK at any given chance and recognise that sometimes we do things right and sometimes things don’t happen because, oh I don’t know, the country that you’re expecting consulate and visa admin staff to be working in has been f-ing invaded?

5 Likes

Exactly this.

The Independent is also 40% owned by the son of KGB and was classed as a security risk by our government. Funnily enough he’s good friends with Boris and magically no longer a risk.

3 Likes

Agree that in this instance it’s clickbait. I’d imagine that given our government’s stance on refugees and immigrants, it’s hard to give them the benefit of the doubt on these sorts of issues.

3 Likes

You know the worlds being turned upside down when the Taliban are concerned about wars.

The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan calls for restraint by both parties. All sides need to desist from taking positions that could intensify violence. We are closely monitoring the situation in Ukraine and express concerns about the real possibility of civilian casualties.

putin is so much of an ego maniac he probably thinks hes playing a real life version of call of duty or some thing … its not looking good for the people of ukraine … i wonder how long it will take the right wingers in this country to complain about refugees arriving

Fingers crossed they can keep up the fight.

What a horrible time for these people :sweat:

3 Likes

Air India seem to be a bit blasé about it all.

1 Like

This is fake by the way :joy:

1 Like

I saw Twitter went back and forth on its validity. Some people still seem to think it’s real!

I think if you type that flight number into flightradar it shows an entirely different flight path.

Still funny to think of some maverick Indian pilot just flying through though.

2 Likes

It’s very much fake.

Here is that plane.

1 Like

Ah, shame. I so wanted it to be true. :joy:

2 Likes

That’s cool :blush:

You can’t though. There is no legal route at the minute.

We could, for example, accept refugee or visa applications from hungry or Poland temporarily. There are solutions here, I think it’s fair to criticise the government for not doing anything yet.

2 Likes

Again, criticism for the sake of it. There is nothing in place for it to be able to happen. The EU is just now starting to organise supplies to send to the countries to support the refugees. It is day 2 of the war, not day 20. Things will be happening behind the scenes across the EU to support them, and that will include the UK as I’m sure NATO will take part in the aid response.

2 Likes

No, it’s not just for criticisms sale. If people don’t criticise, the government will keep doing nothing. We all know Patel will do anything to keep refugees of any sort out. If people are silent, they’ll do nothing.

3 Likes

Indeed.

I had a similar thought about the Russian protests yesterday. Everyone was (rightly) quick to criticise the crackdowns on protests and arresting of protesters.

But our very own government are introducing similar rules to clamp down on protests.

Russia are at the extreme end in regard to their treatment of protestors but we’re at the top of the slippery slope.

7 Likes

That’s a good comparison really.

Maybe a war in Europe will wake people up to the reality that democracy is something that can be lost.

2 Likes

Our government could be proactively doing something to help. Waiving visa requirements, proposing a plan to set up a way for people to apply for visas once they arrive in a country outside of Ukraine etc etc.

We need fast action on this.

2 Likes

sigh Right now, there is currently approximately 50,000 Ukrainian refugees that have left Ukraine, according to the UN refugee agency. Smaller than the crowd at Old Trafford on match days. I doubt they need to be flown thousands of miles right now on day 2. As the crisis unfolds, these will open up. The EU/UN are just putting things in place, just like the UK government will be.

More than 50,000 Ukrainian refugees have fled their country in less than 48 hours — a majority to Poland and Moldova — and many more are moving towards its borders.

Heartfelt thanks to the governments and people of countries keeping their borders open and welcoming refugees.

— Filippo Grandi (@FilippoGrandi) February 25, 2022

(Filippo Grandi is the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees)