Vodafone Broadband

They aren’t using the same backbone. VDSL ISPs share the same access network only.

In the case of Vodafone, Openreach hands the data session over to Vodafone for onward routing via their own network (via L2TP usually).

There can be huge variation between providers. It really depends where the bottleneck/problem is.

If the problem is at the cabinet (DSLAM), then that will impact all connected customers.

2 Likes

Am I correct in saying that most problems with slowness would be due to DSL and not everything after? Surely all of what’s after is a solved problem by now?

You would think so. Unfortunately, much of the slowness people experience is caused by either congestion further upstream, or their hardware.

Some people experience interference, but it’s not hugely common. There are many factors.

I usually get my sync speed on downloads, at all times, at least when using my own hardware.

It’s also a bit of a postcode lottery, your DSLAM could be made by either ECI or Huawei. Many of the ECI cabs lack the latest error correcting tech. They use an Infineon chipset.

The Huawei cabs use a Broadcom chipset which often results in a higher sync rate.

I also used to think DSL was bad, but it’s really not.

Of course, I would choose “real fibre” any day! :slightly_smiling_face:

It really is about time ISPs stopped calling it “fibre”. VDSL is not fibre, and neither is Virgin DOCSIS.

2 Likes

vodafone utilise the openreach “last mile” but they have their own backbone. They use the open reach line from exchange to the property but I believe from the exchange back it is their own network,

3 Likes

In Milton Keynes and expanding elsewhere next year they connect your home directly to fibre. They call this “Gigafast”

We already have this as standard.

1gbps has been available for three months here. £60 a month though.

Has anyone joined Vodafone Broadband recently? They seem to have very aggressive pricing and with the recent EE price hike I’m tempted to make the switch. I am concerned about the reports around their routers not being very good though.

You can replace those, almost every ISP has junk hardware.

I’ve been with them for a few years. The router is just about good enough for me.

One problem I did have for the first couple of months, was frequent router resets and disconnections. It’s been fine since then, though obviously YMMV.

They certainly do appear to cost a lot less than others, I’m unable to switch though as there is a waiting list on the cabinet I’m connected to.

I didn’t even know it was a ‘thing’ till recently but if your cabinet is full then you can’t switch until the capacity is increased.

I suppose if the router turns out to be bad, I can just get a better one, that’s true. Probably a worthwhile risk to take.

Does Vodafone use the same lines as EE? If I’m not mistaken I think EE uses the BT lines, so if Vodafone does the same it should be a very minimal change in my case.

We have Vodafone Broadband and its a good service. Here in Bournemouth, we are also getting their Gigafast fibre to the premises which I’m very much looking forward to.

Never had a problem with their broadband and good connection Putney. Got a 25% discount off the bill.every month because I have my phone with them iswell. Not sure if they are still running this promotion though

1 Like

Terrible, but you get what you pay for… If your budget can stretch a little more consider Zen or if your internet connection if critical you might wanna consider Andrews & Arnold ( you might wanna site down before you read pricing)

2 Likes

Openreach is still part of BT. There was a bit governance change to put Openreach more at arms length but it is still BT

Disagree. I know a number of people who have it and it works just fine.

2 Likes

Everyone’s mileage will vary, to be fair. Some people have great service from TalkTalk, great broadband from BT. And others don’t.