Virgin Media Hub 3

Very few routers these days - unless they’re ultra cheap

True but if you brought a new router in 2021 you’d be hard pressed to find one without a 1GB Port.

Using an ISP router is the same as moaning about how long it takes to work when you choose to walk rather than driving.

This suggests a major problem, either with the modem itself or something upstream. This is also grounds for cancellation if they can’t fix it promptly as you’re not getting what you paid for.

When I was with Virgin with the Hub 3 I never had any issues with the equipment itself. I’m not aware of the whole Intel chipset issue but seems like it doesn’t affect all modems as mine was fine (too bad I threw it away otherwise could’ve posted it to you) or maybe it’s only triggered by another problem (low signal strength or interference)?

In any case, document your test results (how are you measuring that 12Mbps?), ask for a replacement modem to begin with and see how that goes. If it’s the modem part of the Hub that is faulty then putting a router behind it won’t improve things.

2 Likes

I looked at that two but I need three Ethernet ports. It’s a basic spec router but it does look cool and good looking routers are hard to find.

It’s typical issue with the Hub 3.0

Hhahahahahahahahh

True, but if they are providing packages that their own kit cannot even provide, I think people have grounds to complain… The cost of the equipment is in with you package meaning you are paying for the rental of it… So that being said, the equipment should be efficient at doing its job, no?

2 Likes

Okay new router installed this morning and tested through the day. It’s a big improvement over the plus net hub one.

Our main problem before was different devices would disconnect or lose signal. This is now fixed and everything maintains a constant signal through the day, no disconnects.

Speed was never the issue but it is also faster too - because the 5ghz network on the plus one was shocking we only used the 2.4ghz one and that maxed out at about 50mbs downstairs and 35mbs in the furthest room. Now we get a steady 60 throughout. 35mbs was probably enough anyway but faster is better.

Overall a good improvement on the network and long overdue. Thanks to this thread for tipping me over the edge into buying one it’s paid off.

4 Likes

@betalogic - Try putting your existing hub into modem only mode, then set a static IP on your PC and plug straight into the back of the hub. You should be able to get a connection and run a speedtest. If the speed is still awful, that suggests either a faulty hub or an issue on VM’s network which needs to be raised.

If the speed is much better, take a look at the Zyxel Multy X (Multy X AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System - Explore Multy | Zyxel)
A friend of mine just had exactly the same issue with VM. He installed these today and is now getting 140Mbps down on a 150Mbps connection via WiFi at the other end of the house. You can plug this straight into the back of the VM hub (in modem only mode) and this will take care of everything else.

2 Likes

Ours comes Wednesday, this has given me hope seeing it solved your issue! Hope to be getting 500mbps download rather than the current 2mbps as I’m typing this using my 4G lol

1 Like

Update:

Router came today, did a Speedtest right before I did anything, I was getting 0.88mbps download and around 30mbps upload. Threw the Virgin Hub 3 into modem mode, connected the new router via the WAN port, set up the network to the exact same details as per the Virgin one to save me having to reconnect everyone’s tech.

Rran a new speed test, was instantly pulling in 400mbps down and 33mbps upload, although another test right after provided 38mbps upload.

For reference we are on a 500mbps package which provide a 36mpbs upload average, so pretty dang good if you ask me!

Well happy with the result, but disappointed in Virgin and their ability to provide equipment to actually support their services.

Attached below the before and after results:

Before - using the Virgin Hub 3

After - using third party asus router

If anyone here decides to do the same and has any questions, let me know or shoot me a message, will be happy to help!

5 Likes

A mere 500 times faster then :grin:. Glad it fixed it.

1 Like

A week later and both a smart TV and Virgin Tivo box are randomly disconnecting from the network every few days.

Does anyone know if this would be down to DHCP and if me setting a static IP for both of them should solve the issue?

Hmmm generally playing with any router settings can cause a load of issues esp disconnects. Try going back to factory defaults and setting up again and see if it fixes it

Already tried to no prevail, full factory reset so had to assign the same SSID and password etc again to get it all in sync

Turns out the new router for some dumbfound reason was scanning and using DFS channels, which the TV’s don’t support use of, I thought we couldn’t even use those channels as they’re for radar? :thinking:

I tried to run a network test in hopes I’d also get a Hub 4. I can’t log into my VM account because the “email and/or password is incorrect”.

Forgot password > this email doesn’t exist
Forgot email > prompts me to register again and then fails to do so

I have no access to my VM account so I can just look at my bills that do come through to my email but not do much more :woman_facepalming:

It’s doing you a favour, don’t get a Hub 4 as its plagued with the exact same issues - a decent ASUS or even a TP-Link if you’re on a budget will do a considerably better job.

The Virgin equipment is only needed as UK ISPs have to provide “cancellation equipment”

Never heard this, what does it mean?

To be frank I’m not too bothered by the Hub as my house isn’t too big/I don’t have many devices/I’m a basic user/a combination of these probably

I would just like to get back into my account but I can’t and as I heard VM support can be a garbage fire

Also they report a balance to Experian every month which no other communications account does, and nobody ever did in the past. My credit score took a 200 point hit right around the time this started. I don’t think it’s them but it’s a bit of a coincidence. Anyone have experience with this?

1 Like

Can’t actually remember, I know I read somewhere about it being some regulatory thing that all ISPs in the UK need to provide, most of them do it another way but Virgin deal with it by supplying a router and telling you that you need to use it and can’t use their services without.

Think the reasoning for that is so even if you put it into modem mode and whack your own router onto it, they can still access and provide support through the hub.

If you have a Hub 2ac at the moment, stick with it or get a third part, avoid the 3.0 and 4.0 if you can.

Seen this happen before, you’ll have to report it as a false flag to Experian to investigate, seems a few people in recent times have had it affect them.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Amend-My-Credit-File-After-Incorrect-Downgrade-PLEASE/m-p/4163847/highlight/true#M116406

Like I said, after months of daily (mostly several times a day) Wi-Fi outages on my rubbish Hub 3, I got a Hub 4 and it has not once fallen over. Wi-Fi is even stronger than before, so whatever the “same problems” there are I don’t seem to have them.