Virgin Media Hub 3

How did you achieve it? Did you just run tests online in your VM account?

Also, since I can’t get a response out of their support or community, does VM report a balance to Experian for you? It shows my bill amount every month and I suspect it’s impacting my credit score

I got a Superhub 4 when I upgraded to gigabit by Virgin Media - it’s sadly only 50mb/s upload, but hey. that’s good enough

Over the period of about three weeks I ran two online troubleshoots on the website and app, out of sheer frustration. Out of the blue I had a call from a very dodgy sounding person in India telling me I was getting an upgrade – they managed to answer MY security questions, so I took a chance, and the Hub 4 arrived a couple of days later. I had to send back my Hub 3.

I’ve had zero downtime since actually.

I’ve made the assumption my smart home gadgets were chucking me off a crowded network, but I don’t know enough about the tech to clarify that.

1 Like

Oh, cool! I’ll try running some troubleshoots to see if they’ll upgrade me

Off topic, but do you see any balance reported on your credit file? I want to know if I should pursue this further.

Yes, I do. Just like I see Thames Water and O2. It’s a utility which has given me a credit limit in the background. It doesn’t bother me, and I’ve always assumed utilities do this.

@betalogic implied that VM shouldn’t ever post to a credit file, but then provided a conversation where there was obviously a mistake in that reporting, which was the issue.

Hm, odd

Usually all my utilities show as £0/on time but VM always show £35/on time or whatever the bill value is

I can’t see any other reason why my score would’ve tanked…

Oh, I see what you’re getting at. Yeah, VM report £0 to my credit files.

I wouldn’t worry about the actual score though.

I don’t worry about the score but if it tanks because of this, I worry what a lender would do if they just see an outstanding balance every month… I’ll raise a complaint because I can’t get through on the phone and the chat keeps cutting me off

2 Likes

no i didn’t?

because that’s exactly what @ndrw is having an issue with, no?

the “same problems” are the fact both the 3.0 and 4.0 have an intel puma chipset which has been plagued with issues, also the range is known to be appalling from both of the products - VM tried to fix the CPU issue with an over the air update for the 3.0 and I believe for the 4.0 - either way, I’m glad its working for you but its public knowledge that VM’s equipment is shite and you’re always better off using your own equipment.

2 Likes

No, you didn’t, I see that now.

I think what happens is that credit reporting runs at a certain time, and your actual billing date is later than that, so the credit reporting task sees the account as owing a balance and reports that. It shouldn’t be a problem as it won’t increase in the next month. If it keeps increasing then it would be cause for concern.

You can probably test this theory by paying your monthly in advance in addition to your next DD (I believe their bill payment page doesn’t actually check whether you have a bill/amount outstanding, you can just enter any amount and it’ll be applied to your account) and on that month the balance reported should be back at 0 (and they’ll then skip a DD - the upcoming one or next one after that - since your account is still in credit).

However besides the reported balance creditors also report whether the account is in good standing, so a balance by itself shouldn’t be a problem. As said countless times on this forum, lenders don’t see a “score”, they see the raw data of the report (which you can access by requesting a statutory credit report). The “score” displayed by the common credit monitoring services is a mostly meaningless figure that will keep going up and down randomly (even due to trivial things like this one) to incentivize you to check it regularly as they make their money by showing you “offers” next to that score.

2 Likes

This is a good point. Did you try to change the date of your bill @ndrw?

Hm, it could be that. But they set their billing date and I’d hope they set one that works with their reporting. It’s the only thing I can think of impacting my score so hmm