Using Monzo in Madagascar

Can I use my Monzo card at ATMs / banks in Madagascar?

I know it’s a while since you posted this but just wondering if your monzo worked in Madagascar?

1 Like

We went 3 years ago, and no the Monzo card didn’t work. That said there are very few places in Madagascar where you can use cards and only the main cities have banks. It’s a cash economy

1 Like

Hello, I’m currently here so hopefully the following helps!

Cash is king here, and you can’t get it before you arrive which makes life harder!

Very few, if any, restaurants or shops will accept visa or Mastercard other than some high end hotels, and even then many of them don’t.

ATM’s are few are far between, only major towns have them, and don’t rely on them working.

BNI Madagascar, the biggest bank, did not work with either my Monzo or Starling Mastercard. It also didn’t work with my Visa Barclaycard.

BNOI works with Visa cards only (free to use)
Bank of Africa works with Visa Cards only (charges 10,000 MGA)
Society General works with Starling and Monzo as well as other Mastercard and Visa Cards (charges 8,000 MGA)

Anywhere I could pay via card Monzo has worked, including in BNI terminals.

800,000 MGA is the max you can withdraw in a single transaction.

My advise, take multiple cards and make sure you have a VISA card. My starling got swallowed in the first week so I would have been doomed without my other cards.

1 Like

Further information. I’m at Ivato International now in Antananarivo and there is a Society General cash point and an MCB cash point as you exit the arrivals area.

Note that this is the international terminal, not the domestic one. Though you can walk down from domestic and get to the cash points without any issues.

Both work with Mastercard and Monzo and MCB doesn’t charge any fees.