Can confirm this will not happen.
A mortgage company couldn’t care less who your current account reports too.
Can confirm this will not happen.
A mortgage company couldn’t care less who your current account reports too.
Agreed. Mortgage companies do huge amounts of due diligence. I’d be very surprised if they didn’t query all 3 credit agencies.
Thanks for your answer! 
Debt is very serious. It ruins lives - there are too many destroyed, and the single greatest cause of “bad or inappropriate” lending is “insufficient enquiry at the outset”.
So it’s good that Monzo’s lending policy is conservative, I have no issue with that. It needs to be consistent too - and this thread seems to set out a number of cases where, on the basis of some of the posts, there is no obvious consistency. (Not that I need to justify my views, my working life has been in and around retail banking {including debt recovery units and writing scorecards} and I now work with homeless people whose lives have been blighted by debt.)
It is the banking industry’s responsibility to ensure that debt information is shared appropriately within the lending community to minimise the possibility of inappropriate lending - and we know that Monzo’s data is not on the two most important credit reference agencies. It is therefore reasonable to question whether Monzo’s lending policy can accurately be described as “conservative”.
An “official response” from Monzo using sweaty / smiley emoticons is not, really, the sort of response I would expect to an extremely serious subject.
It is shareholder money that is risked by any bank’s lending policy, so it is entirely reasonable to ask how our shareholder money is being risked.
Their main concern is; ‘Is Monzo hindering somebody in the near future when preparing to apply for a mortgage’.
Are there any mortgage advisors on here to confirm any facts that can help ease people’s minds about future lending and credit scores?
You can’t claim that as a fact.
Determining someones eligibility is likely based on lots of factors and I haven’t seen any customer tell us how much they earn and such.
You clearly aren’t aware of Monzos tone of voice. Perhaps this topic will help:
Montage providers ask me to show my business books and do lot more checking than just logging onto experian
Go to a shareholders meeting then.
I would rather they stay conservative than put people into debt from legacy banks like you were apart of in the “good old days” as you put it.
That’s also less likely to risk shareholders money.
Let’s be clear.
This is a forum.
On the internet.
You’ve had a conversation in which a member of Monzo staff has offered their perspective on a few questions you asked. That’s about as far from an “official response” as you can get.
If you really want to pursue this officially, I suggest writing a letter. An open forum isn’t the place for that sort of conversation and you won’t receive an “official” response here.
As for the rest of it, thanks for the lecture but I think you’ve missed the genral tone of conversation round here!
Have you seen the other threads where this is discussed in more details?
I’d rather that it was fair over being consistent. It doesn’t need to be the same tomorrow as it is today, but every person applying should be considered to the same standard as others. I’ve seen nothing to suggest that this isn’t happening.
![]()
Not an advisor but fully qualified and frequently working in and around policy design… Doesn’t affect it to be honest. Lenders typically rely on a recent history of an account, and they typically do that by requesting 3/6 months bank statements.
The mortgage systems I’ve worked on have all taken what the user declares to match up with CRAs. If they find something else on the CRAs then they add that into the pot, if they don’t find a declared item on CRAs they still use it in calculations, and if it’s not declared, not on CRAs, and not found during a check on bank statements then they’ll never know… very rare.
A bank account is an assumed entity nowadays (especially when most lenders have implemented a Direct Debit only policy for repayments).
With mortgages, it’s not always that no credit would be a problem - just negative factors like recent overdraft usage, payment failures etc. A current account doesn’t really contribute a huge amount to credit scoring here - but if something bad was found on it then it would hinder.
I disagree. If a Monzo staff member posts on Monzo’s own community forum then that is an official response. Even posting elsewhere can usually be construed as acting in an official capacity, which is why many companies require staff to state something like, “The views expressed here are my own and do not represent the views of <company name>”.
Except the guy was getting pissy because he used emojis.
I’m full Monzo and got a mortgage no problem with NatWest.
You’ll be fine.
Thanks! 

Just to clarify, my response was not intended to diminish the seriousness of the subject. As has been linked above, we tend to use more colloquial and less officious language when communicating - there is no point obscuring things in technical terms or complex language! As part of that, we also use emojis. Our Tone of Voice guide is here; although this thread is not really the forum for a debate on it 
As I have mentioned above, if anyone wants formal clarification on their credit status with us then the best thing to do is to message in the app as a public forum isn’t really the right place to discuss an individual’s credit report!
We aren’t able to discuss the internals of our credit decisioning and how we decide whether someone is eligible or not.
There are a few blogs we have written that do provide more information however:
I am happy to answer questions - but for a formal response to a complaint or concerns then the conversation would have to be over in app chat, or by emailing us at help@monzo.com
My Monzo account had been CaSS due to several factors and will complete Tuesday.
Where have you CASS’d to?
Lloyds switching bonus.