Turn That Frown Upside Down: Complaints at Monzo

7 Likes

Sounds good very impressive @Naji

1 Like

If you’re ever at a Monzo event, I’d highly recommend asking Yehudi about this. I’m not sure I’ve ever met anyone as passionate about anything before so it’s especially great that his passion is helping people who make complaints!

2 Likes

Or ask @Yehudi here :slight_smile: I’m sure he’s up for answering questions/hearing suggestions!

1 Like

That’s an awesome turn-around target. Having worked in complaint handling in the past I wholeheartedly agree with the ‘information’ and ‘personalisation’ approaches. These two points alone can help prevent a small complaint escalating. Not only great for potentially turning complainants into brand advocates, you’ll save a fortune in Financial Ombudsman referral fees. :slight_smile:

Nice to see you pioneering great customer service approaches, as well as great tech!

2 Likes

Hey @Yehudi,

Firstly I wanna say great job, you solved a complaint of mine before after i felt customer service failed me and it was solved really promptly once I raised it as a complaint.

I do however want to question part of the blog :P,

I think thats amazing that you’d do this and go the extra file for customers in instances where monzo has messed up and you will go the extra mile to fix the situation.

But directly after this in the blog you included a tweet of a user who was sent some flowers because she was attacked and mugged, I feel like this was put in as what monzo see as a great opportunity for some good PR and would you have done the same if the person didn’t work for where they work? and if you would how does monzo expect to ever become a profitable bank when you are paying out when essentially the situation isn’t caused by monzo and is 100% out of monzo’s control?

Please don’t try to take this negatively I really appreciate the work you and the complaints team do but I’d like to understand this a little more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @m8tt

Thank you for your feedback! I really appreciate it, it hasn’t been taken negatively at all, and I was glad that we were able to solve your complaint :smile:

Thanks for raising the point about the tweet - this hasn’t come across right, and I agree with you, so we’ve now removed from the post. I must note that we always aspire to treat people based on their individual circumstances, rather than occupation or public profile.

We don’t routinely pay out when things happen which aren’t caused by Monzo, but it depends on the situation. For example, we are entitled to forward on a complaint if we believe that another service provider is responsible. Ultimately, we believe that we can be profitable and also provide an exceptional service :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I entirely agree with you @Yehudi I am a big advocate of great customer service. I have to deal with customer complaints and sometimes the best customers can be those that had a problem and then, to use your words, their frown was turned upside down! They will be the customers that go out and actively promote the business so it is great to see Monzo embracing this :+1:

2 Likes

Just want to add that although I agree with @Yehudi that we love helping people who make complaints, it really takes a huge amount of patience to do so and @Yehudi is one of the most patient people I’ve ever met. He does a fantastic job that would drain the life out of a lot of people and he always has a smile on his face. I find him hugely inspiring and very much follow his lead when faced with complaints or grumbles :grinning:

4 Likes

Hey @Yehudi,

I’m not sure if this would come under your domain but i’m just wondering whom i speak to to get my Spotify paid for? https://twitter.com/AnotherCarry/status/900062198504050688/photo/1

4 Likes

Hey @m8tt,

Based on the tweet, I don’t think this is related to a complaint, so it isn’t something that comes under my domain.

I’m sorry if we seem guarded here: we can’t share information on arrangements between Monzo and individual customers, because protecting everyone’s privacy is really important to us. If someone tweets about how their Monzo account, we can’t provide further information about that I’m afraid.

What I can say, is that we don’t have a policy for treating people based on requests (as great as that’d be!), so I imagine this is related to something else. I’m sorry that I can’t provide much info here, if you ever have general queries about dealing with complaints at Monzo, I’d be happy to provide as much information as possible!

4 Likes

Sorry just to confirm here, does this mean i’m not getting spotify?

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Golden Ticket Not Working

Sometime last century, I read a book called, “A compliant is a gift” the basic premise being that a complaint is a chance to look at policies, and procedures to see if you were doing the right thing in the right way.

Nice to see that a bank is taking that approach to working with its customers.

3 Likes