Transfer of South African income to the UK

Hi, Any SAFFERS out there?
I get paid in Rands from some of my investments into my SA bank account.
I have all the FICA documents etc in place, but I have a devil of a time actually getting the funds paid in to my UK bank account.
The bank I use in SA is staffed by people who simply can not perform the simplest of functions, and the frustration levels are really high whenever I need to communicate with this bank.
I have opened an account with Monzo on the recommendation of a friend, who seems to think that my life will be a little easier if I get the SA funds paid directy to Monzo.

I am now fully resident in the UK, and have formally emigrated from SA.
Can anyone give me some helpful advice on how to get my income paid directly from the SA providers, directly into my Monzo account?
Thanks
elutgs172

As a matter of interest, which bank in SA do you have your account at? My Dad used Nedbank for years and one of my SA relatives worked at FNB her whole career. I have to admit, I’ve never had any particular issues with banks in SA, but believe me from experience I do know that sometimes they can be frustrating:

Hi Topsy 2, Thank you for your interest.
My SA bank is The Standard Bank.
I have found them to be so dis-coordinated. It seems that the left had doesn’t even know that there is a right hand.
I’ve struggled with them since 1998 when I retired, but now, with the advent of these new internet based banks, I’m hoping I can find an easier way to extract my pensions from SA.
Ta

1 Like

Ok. So obviously you are here and not there. I was just thinking whether or not it would be possible for you to open an account with a different bank in SA, but that would be easier said than done I suppose. I was just thinking whether Nedbank or FNB might be able to provide the sorts of transactions you need, but I suppose at the end of the day, they’ll probably just mirror Standard Bank anyway.

We’re at opposite ends of the scale here, I’d emigrate to SA tomorrow if I could, but I just have too many things going on in the UK and that’s the only thing that’s stopping me from packing up and living in one of my favourite places in either the Western or Eastern Cape. Maybe when I’m actually retired I might make the move.

Thanks for the reply.
I hope that you are able to retire in SA if that 's your desire.
I am over 70 years old now, and there’s nothing there for me any longer.
I have heard goodish reports about Nedbank, but I have to apply to the Reserve Bank to change my forex dealer (FICA, whatever that stands for)
I really don’t want to go through that whole process again, so I guess I’ll have to stick where I am unless a better proposition comes along.
Good luck!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.