The Year Ahead, 2018

It doesn’t count for you though as I heard you’re related to the Monzo CEO :wink:

4 Likes

true, I got a special dispensation because of my relationship , Monzo do try and weed out the old oxygen thieves as they have no use anymore lol :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Most of them just don’t like change. You know we will all be wearing Google contact lenses when we’re 80 :smiley:

Or Apple, as mostly everybody here is so obsessed with

2 Likes

Bugger. I’m doomed :scream::scream::scream::scream:

2 Likes

…and Apple Pay… :frowning:

1 Like

I like this roadmap. Primarily because it doesn’t leave me hoping that things I wanted to see will be done imminently. With this in mind, I will be going back to my Natwest account and Starling. I’ll check back in with Monzo in a year or so.

5 Likes

Well, was expecting some great news when I clicked this link.

But I have to say, rather boring and disappointing…
Is that really all there is?
Basically bank statements, overdraft, pots and some vague partnerships.

Wow, 2018 is the new 1998…

1 Like

This post is a great summary of my thoughts also

Given how badly pushed back the schedule has been so far, do you really want them to say more?

I’m guessing you are on Apple as you’ve skipped the revamped spending and targets…

Is cheque imaging clearing part of the 2018 plan?

3 Likes

We certainly hope so!

With cheque imaging, there’s a couple of different approaches to take, whereby we could build a direct connection to the system ourselves, or have an agreement with another company on an agency basis. We’re currently exploring what would work best for us, although I suspect we’ll go direct.

There’s some companies already operating in the OCR space for cheque imaging so we could integrate them directly into the app and then we’d just need to build out the back end process for getting everything cleared, processed and credited.

We haven’t committed to an ETA for this as there’s still decisions to be made but it certainly seems this is something we’ll be able to do later this year :grinning:

16 Likes

Thanks for the update. Hopefully this is something that will be done sooner than later. I’ve recently opened a ‘B’ bank account and using their app to pay in cheques has made me go from leaving the cheques on the side for months to be able to instantly pay them in - it really is a great feature. I know Monzo is at the early stages but it would be great to see Monzo do these things before the big banks which is something I expect a lot of people would expect from Monzo.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Apple Pay - Any updates?

More than 200,000 of you have already upgraded your accounts.

More than 52,000 people are already using Pots

So 25% uptake ish on pots (and does that include people that had to create and delete one to get rid of the notification error?- actually making it lower?)

the idea for Pots first came about back in January 2016
Two years :man_facepalming: and we’ve another 8-12 months to answer a question that could be answered pretty much immediately.

Make Monzo make sense as a main account :moneybag:
Not everyone wants or needs just one single account. They want accounts . You need to make monzo make sense as you’re main bank not main account.

Please just give us the option of a second account (and joints for those that want them).

Monzo and starling are the only banks that don’t offer this. It’s not innovative especially if you cant match the functionality of a fairly basic bank requirement. Pretty disappointed this isn’t on the roadmap.

Monzo should offer additional accounts pretty quickly, park pots for now. When its revisited give everyone the option if they want an additional or if they want to use pots.

What do you get from a second ‘account’ that you won’t get from a pot once they are fully-featured (setting aside joint accounts for now)?

Are US and UK check processing back ends similar enough to re-use the work (or a lot of it) you’ll need to enter the US?

1 Like

It’s been answered time over in other threads, but just a couple of examples…
Wanting to keep bills separate, paid other then monthly (4 weekly, fortnightly), not having to force all your finances together, the need for a second debit card (cont-auth payments). Let alone having to wait months on end for pots to be developed to do something that could be resolved instantly by allowing them.

Totally understand some people might be happy with one account and thats fine. But some people need more. There’s a reason every other bank offers second accounts - and its because people want/need/use them.

At least 75% of monzo cc users aren’t using pots. At leat 1 in 4 in the UK (a much larger sample) have a second account.

No, I don’t believe so. It’s a good question though and I’m not 100% sure but from what I’ve read on how the back-end cheque processing works in the UK, I don’t believe it’s something we could apply across different countries.

2 Likes

The very back end is obviously totally different, but I was thinking re-using the GUI pieces, image storage, etc. Of course, that’s the easy bit :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh, OK! In that case, yes, I imagine so. When we launch for other countries we aim to keep everything in the app the same, aside from anything specific to the individual country.

2 Likes