The Year Ahead, 2018

Not sure that you would call them FinTech but the Yorkshire/Clydesdale group offer B https://www.youandb.co.uk/

1 Like

I am very interested in what was meant by this. Are there any further details? Also any plans to notify of pending direct debits?

It doesn’t say that they will be retried. It says it will give you a notification if they have failed and need to be retried

1 Like

This is an absolute must - and I’m really disappointed not to see it making the timeline for this year after it was at least hinted at that they would be looking to get this running early this year.

Hopefully it’ll just be a mistake that it was left off the timeline. If not I’ll have to rethink how we use it. Currently my wife uses the pre-pay card, and can request money whenever she needs it. If the pre-pay card goes, then she’ll have to upgrade to her own current account. I understand that they’re allowing money requests on the new current account, but reluctantly as it costs them money - but without a joint current account it’ll be our only option.

3 Likes

Same thing isn’t it? They would only retry ones that have failed anyway. I’m interested the reasons that they would consider a retry and when that retry would be done. If they could match Starlings approach I’d consider moving direct debits back to Monzo.

1 Like

Also need to be seeing the option to have two accounts. Would like to use
one Monzo account for personal transactions and another for the joint
account.

1 Like

I’d hope that these actually turn out to be things we focus on early this year — predicting what we’ll ship in October this year is basically impossible :slight_smile: So see this as the things we’re confident about!

10 Likes

No news or timeline on international payments (IBAN etc) is a bit concerning. Transferwise integration would be fine assuming there’s some kind of indication it’ll happen this year.

Alongside that, Apple Pay like everyone is saying. Some kind of indication this will happen would be good.

1 Like

A complete lack of a mention for Apple Pay or IBANs is a massive issue.

No one needs promises, but we do need words. We’re making an investment by moving to Monzo, and if we’re left in the dark about things that we feel are essential, then we’ll leave.

All it would take would be a line that says something like we know x y z issues are important to a large number of people, and we will look again at this in March.

The usual story that I should just use TransferWise doesn’t hold water, I’m afraid. TransferWise don’t support payments from any of the countries I get paid from. I even tried routing an international payment into their US account in USD but it doesn’t accept foreign inbound payments.

So I’m in a situation where I’m committed to a bank that isn’t fully fledged (which is fine because I want to support Monzo’s innovation) but with real usability problems and no sign of when they might be addressed.

(Sorry for the rant. It’s refreshing to see a bank that’s so open - and the promise of monthly updates is wonderful.)

2 Likes

Thank you for the update guys, and happy new year!

This will see us work to bring the Pulse graph to Android, so everyone can see a timeline of their spending, and instantly understand whether or not they’re on track for every month.

We’ll update the Spending section of both apps to better help you to understand your income, bills, and spending, which includes adding Targets to Android.

Timeline: 3-6 months

As an Android user, I’m very eager to see this realised - the feature of Targets was one of the unique selling points of Monzo for me.

I know in the world of software development priorities can change and targets can slip; will the monthly blog updates detail if you’re on track for these timelines and include transparency on any slips?

3 Likes

Any news on when it will be possible to submit corrections for business details? I tend to shop at smaller local businesses, so my transaction feed is full of missing and incorrect/out of date logos and maps.

I’m also supprised to see so many people wanting Apple Pay. I tend to find it easier to use my debit card instead.

Which are you using?

If you’re on Android, feel free to message us and we can create the feedback our end for you :blush:

If you’re on iOS this can be done in app :+1:

1 Like

I think for me personally the problem with the blog post is that Monzo’s ‘full current account’ (as its advertised) will apparently still lack so many of the basic things I have from my legacy bank account already in a full years time. To round a few up - Apple Pay, joint accounts, interest (anything is better than 0%), international transfers, 3D secure (which stops me using my Monzo card on several websites).

These major things aren’t even mentioned but ‘small’ fixes (from a user standpoint) like setting custom dates for targets will take 6-12 months. If these things take such a long amount of time surely the things that matter most are too far away to make Monzo a real option as a ‘full current account’ for most users - and obviously this change is needed to help Monzo start making money. I really really want to scrap my old bank, invest and move fully to Monzo but there’s only so long that the novelty overweighs the frustrations of day-to-day use. I’ve been/am a huge supporter of Monzo but I’m slowly losing faith.

12 Likes

Thanks for the fantastic update. It looks like 2018 is going to super year at Monzo

3 Likes

I assume ‘joint accounts’ will be part of the improvements to pots, i.e. the solution will be shared pots. However, I can’t see how this will work unless we’ll be able to set a shared pot as the default withdrawal source for payments - and even then it’s messy. Also, the 8-12 month wait is painful - many people are waiting on this before they move over.

4 Likes

Totally true, timelines can slip or change when priorities do, so monthly updates should help keep you in the loop about what’s on track, what isn’t quite, and what you can expect in the next few weeks.

As Tristan said, predicting what we’re doing 8-12 months into the future is tricky! These are our current plans and priorities, and hopefully you’ll find regular updates useful through the year :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I am using Revolut, Monese and Monzo

1 Like

Happy New Year Monzo, and thanks for the blog post. 3 improvements that seem to have come up most from the community off the back of this blog post:

1. Apple Pay
  2. Joint Accounts
  3. International transfers

Any comment on these, Monzo?

7 Likes