The Monzo Current Account Preview

Also…

1 Like

Things that make me happy:

:smiley: I’ll be able to use webhooks with a UK current account, WOW! I really can’t wait. It’s a race between Monzo to provide current accounts and Starling to provide personal webhooks. I do prefer the additional data + hashtags + emoji from Monzo though… I’m generally using my :monzo: card :two_hearts: in preference to cards from Starling, Revolut, Loot :smiley:

Things that make me sad:

:frowning: Wasn’t selected as an investor in March.
:frowning: Investors get perks, while it seems other loyal customers who pledged do not. Of course if I was selected I wouldn’t be sad, but this makes me doubly sad.
:frowning: I’m an android user and would have to wait anyway.

That’s not quite true -

From the blog.

If you pre-registered to invest in the last round but weren’t successful, as promised you will also get early access to the current account. That will mean you are in the first group of people to receive a card and current account once we start rolling out en-masse!

But investors do get more perks because, well, they’re investors. But it sounds like you understand :slight_smile: :raised_hands:

4 Likes

I’m interested in this too.

Ah, thankyou @alexs… I’d not seen that - great news. :wave: :slight_smile:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Business banking?

Bit confused, the signup form only mentions the Investor round in March. I didn’t get in that round but did invest in the first round. Can I not sign up for the current account then?

This is very exciting. I think it’s great that @monzo are doing it this way. The thing is that it would be very foolish to throw it out to everybody at once with everything up and running. This is a much better plan and allows for potential issues without affecting people too much. Although I’m an investor who would definitely get an account with this announcement, I’m actually going to wait until everything is up and running. I’m looking forward to reading all about the experiences of those people who do get an account to test with and work with. Enjoy it everyone! :tada::smile:

7 Likes

@BenKing different perks for the 2 fund raising.

2nd round was early access to current accounts, 1st round was skip the queue to the PrePaid card.

2 Likes

Really hope they judge Watford as close enough to HQ.

+1000000pts to Tristan for getting the user number tracker in there :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

This is excellent! Very excited to get my hands on the current account. :blush:

Good news indeed. Have registered even though Android is a bit behind. Hope within the M25 is close enough. (work in King’s Cross from time to time so can easily get to HQ).

One question please.

It doesn’t look like there’s any way to move the balance on your prepaid card to the early adopter version of the current account. I recognise that the two can be run in parallel but will you have to run the prepaid account down or can you ask Monzo to move the balance?

will the current account still allow you to receive money from contacts?
will you have IBAN and SWIFT codes as i get my salary paid from the US?

thanks

So to start Monzo are issuing current account debit cards without names, if I have read this correctly? So that means hire companies, hotels and even some airlines wont accept it, as they all require cards in the name of, and airlines can request to see the card in the name of the booker before checkin…

Also why do you need to replace the cards later on?

Im sorry but this seems like a rush to market, lots of features not working appreciate its a Current Account Alpha

Why do you have to live in London to get in the first tranche? and only 9-6 Mo- Fri support thats a show stopper for me, and yes i know its only temporary…

Damn pressed yes… is this a problem? :see_no_evil::see_no_evil:

Emphasis mine.

I think you’ve answered your own question by the end of the sentence there :wink:

People keep mentioning that this seems rushed but it’s a relatively small rollout to less than 10% of users, over a three month period. The features that aren’t available are much less important to a current account user, now that they can top up / receive transfers directly, for example & also, it’s the new current account functionality that needs testing.

As the blog post says, if you don’t want to test the incomplete product, you don’t have to :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’d just like to point out to the Monzo people listening that many of us live outside London but would still enjoy being invited to HQ to get a card as an early current account adopter, so please don’t entirely exclude based on postcode!

9 Likes

@colin We’ll most definitely be looking at hosting similar preview events in other cities!

4 Likes

First of all, congratulations on reaching this milestone. I know the team have worked very hard to reach this point. :tada:

Secondly…I’ve umm’d and arr’d about making this point, and I don’t want to come across as an entitled user even thought I know some will see this post like that, but I do want to have a grumble about the ‘iOS only’ support here.

I am one of those users that joined Monzo based only on seeing the Android version of the app. As part of this I have had to deal with one of those awkward scenarios where an iPhone owning friend has joined based on my recommendation - That feeling of ‘Oh…’ when you first see those differences in the interface and experience in their version of the app was an interesting one.

I appriciate that by the time the current accounts are officially launched you expect to have feature parity, and I’ve been holding out based on that. To me though, alarm bells are ringing as this current announcement raises fresh concerns around the feasibility of that, by showing that its maybe not as straight forward to do that as the team would like?

Let me clarify - I still love Monzo. I will still continue to use Monzo, and I will migrate to the current account later in the year. However, I simply want to voice this point that I am disappointed with always being left to feel like a second class citizen as an Android user - and that it disappoints me further to see this looks to continue for at least the short term future. :pensive:

11 Likes