The Colour of the Debit Card

I don’t get my card until Monday, but as long as I can use it to get my money out when I need it on holiday, I don’t care what colour it is. For now anyway :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Love Monzo! Hate the colour! It’s very childish. Monzo seems to use a lot of navy blue, website, logo background, envelope card arrives in etc, why not keep with that and make the card navy blue too, just like the one above?

6 Likes

Yes, you have already made this point in another thread, no need to repeat yourself

Apologies.

I thought I had said something like that before whilst I was writing it, but I kept thinking; “you just thought it, you didn’t say it”

4 Likes

So I’m actually a massive lover of the hot coral. It’s become my trademark of knowing monzo. That is until I just saw this one.
I’d probably stick with the original but this one is lovely

3 Likes

After a year the colour has faded quite bad so it is no longer ‘hot coral’

2 Likes

For me the hot coral is part of the Monzo magic. Love how it makes the card stand out from the blandness of my other cards. Also it’s a total conversation starter - the number of people I’ve had comment on how good the colour is is huge.

13 Likes

I quite like the vibrant card makes it easy to find when misplaced :rofl:

6 Likes

Store checkout operators comment how bright it is, but I simply say “it’s the only debit card seen from orbit!”

5 Likes

And the guy taking my payment in Subway today in Warrington area said it was the second one he’d seen today… first time a cashier has mentioned seeing one before to me, so word must be spreading or perhaps one of the 5 friends I’ve got to sign up has been in today :sunglasses:

3 Likes

As a man over a certain age I have no issue with the colour at all. Very happy using the hot coral card at any opportunity.

19 Likes

Fair play, but I’m 43 and whenever my mates see the card they take the mick! All light hearted banter, but I personally would prefer a more premium card design, that would definitely get more people who don’t like the ‘hot coral’ into the bank, which is surely a good thing.

1 Like

Monzo, make this card please!!!

Hah well, of course it can’t please everyone! I just was asked about my card and signed someone up as they were purely interested in the colour - the instant notifications was just a bonus! :slight_smile:
I do agree, a card in a dark navy blue colour would be puurty so maybe a choice of two would be great.

I think it’s totally awesome that monzo are choosing to ignore the fairly common feedback in favour of less extroverted branding and push ahead with their loud and obnoxious hot coral. Go hard or go home!

The colour is an important part of their growth equation. If it was black you might have the average user refer 0.5 new users so it would not spread in the same way. When you whip your hot coral out and everyone on the dinner table is like “whoa what is that thing”, and you are like “yeah it’s a brand new bank with a slick app, real time notifications, free forex and lots of other stuff” then suddenly you are looking at the venture capital holy grail of over 1.0 users referred by each user… which is where growth becomes completely organic and viral. That is a key reason why monzo is going vertical.

This compared to dark purple cards where the CEO’s and CFO’s need to go on social media to pitch the product to individuals and argue about whether interbank or MasterCard rate is marginally better, as their users don’t refer anyone because it’s boring (even though it’s basically the same thing!)

15 Likes

It would be interesting to know how many Monzonauts each of us have created (both directly by us and indirectly including those who signed up by people we gave golden tickets to in the first place). Perhaps in a future update?

2 Likes

It will be, Zancler mentioned back in February that Monzo are working on this feature :tada:

2 Likes

this is like the never ending story of I’ve signed up knowing the colour of the card, but don’t like the “hot coral” :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

• I agree with @rarther and others previously regarding the talking point / recognition value of “the Hot Coral card” - I don’t think I have ever presented my Lloyds bank, Halifax Clarity, Co-op bank, or Capital One CC and the person taking them commented on the colour/ nice galloping horse - but with the Monzo card I have had at least 10 wow, great colour, never loose that card etc etc - it becomes an instantly recognisable brand colour for that, whats its name, internet bank.
6 Likes

Hot Coral is super best.

4 Likes

Is there a reason for the slight colour change in the cards? Each batch seems to be a slightly different colour with the debit card being more orange than the others ??