The Colour of the Debit Card

Very good question. Iā€™d have to use an IDā€¦ but I think the last time I had to pick up a parcel was like a year ago so no big loss! :joy:

2 Likes

Easy as the letter of itself would have his name on it but the card inside would be nameless. In saying that the Royal Mail employees can Google the name on the package, where will it end? :roll_eyes::thinking::grin:

3 Likes

I reckon having the ability to choose what card you want is the way forward. I like the hot coral, but it p**** me off when someone has a glimpse of Mt card, having to constantly say ā€˜yes, itā€™s a fully fledged bank. No its not a charge card. Yes, really I can get my wagesā€™ in thereā€™, in fact I get all my banking done ā€˜in thereā€™, fintech is not a fadā€¦ Oh F*** off!ā€™
Now Revolut :face_vomiting: have different cards that you can buy as a one off payment. Tied in to different accounts they have, I believe.
Maybe leave the hot coral for those who want it, but create the same style card (love the simplicity of it!) in 3 or 4 different colours. The vertical card is a desperate gimmick to try and prove how special said card issuing bank is. Naked people in their adverts and all.
Same card, just a range of colours. Perhaps within the same palette. @monzo

3 Likes

Monzo is known for its bright orange cards. I was thinking the Monzo logo is Orange, Yellow, Blue and Green. Why not make these brightly coloured cards also. A couple of ideas are: Pick a Colour card you wish from the 4 when you either order a new card or sign up. Different Accounts with different colours ( shared ect). Anybody else see this as a big update to the cards Monzo should make. Operations seem to love the idea. Lets try get this to happen and be able to have all 4 colour cards available!

2 Likes

Hi @steparkin2010 Iā€™ve popped your post in to this thread. As you can see substantial chat about card colours and options. No progress as yet as Monzo focus on building the apps and customer base but they are listening to the demand on this.

Already suggested :wink:

Sure was! Way back in Jul ā€˜17

Definitely need other colours to choose from. At least the colours in the logo.

3 Likes

I had another ā€œyou wonā€™t lose that card will you?ā€ comment today. To be honest, I would love a ā€œdark modeā€ card perhaps more in keeping with the dark blue of Monzoā€™s website. However, I think itā€™s distinctive enough that itā€™s good marketing for the bank so Iā€™m really not sure weā€™ll see Monzo move on thisā€¦

5 Likes

If you want a boring bank card, go to a boring bank, say I.

3 Likes

While I love the coral red colour of the Monzo card, the rest of my family (strangely) hate it. Itā€™s literally the only reason theyā€™re not getting a Monzo and now theyā€™re missing out dearlyā€¦

As odd as it may seem, I think there might actually be others out there who wonā€™t get a Monzo for the same reason.

If you could offer different colours to choose from then that would be really great.

4 Likes

Hey Iā€™ve just moved your post to this thread to keep all the discussion in one place. :blush: hope thatā€™s alright!

3 Likes

Just in the US, and the coral has caused some sensation! So Iā€™ve grown fond of it! It stands out, itā€™s irreverent - literally matching the monzo mantra. #monzomantra freebie for you guys :kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

3 Likes

I like the colour as itā€™s different, the other cards I have are dark colours like RBS, Halifax (& Clarity) are all a shade of blue, Lloyds is a green with some back, Sainsburyā€™s credit card could be classed as purple.

At end of the day I just see it as a colour of the card, I guess if I happen to put down I wont or shouldnā€™t be able to not see it as itā€™s a bright colour whereas I might do if Iā€™d misplaced my RBS card.

Maybe an idea is to have the letter M in the colours of the Monzo app logo but on a slightly dark background.

1 Like

From a recent FT profile of Tom Blomfield

One obvious question is whether Monzo will lose its edge if every other person is tapping away with its recognisable debit cards. Blomfield is certain the ā€œhot coralā€ theme will catch on when Monzo goes global. But he is talking to the head of design about potentially offering more colours for Monzoā€™s cards once coral becomes ubiquitous

Monzo co-founder banks on cool credentials
Article is behind paywall

But how cool would 1,000,000,000 Hot Coral cards all around the globe be?

2 Likes

Youā€™re all a little late to this party. Even the joint account card colour discussion has been and gone :wink:

1 Like

I personally donā€™t mind the Hot Coral. Itā€™s nice / different but if someone asked me would I like a different colour? Probably.

I do wonder how many people are initially put off or donā€™t bother to explore what Monzo has to offer just because this is their barrier to entry

With Apple / Google Pay do people even card about the card anymore? :joy:

3 Likes

I donā€™t but Iā€™m also using Curve now coz cashback