The C word!

So Christmas starts this weekend for me…

It’s time to make the Christmas cake, I’ve had the fruit soaking in brandy for the last 7 days, got everything I need to make it. Today was going to be the day but I forgot to get the block butter out and it’s way too hard right now to even make an attempt.

Never made one on my own before and just to make it a bit more challenging it’s a vegan recipe although to be fair the process looks easy enough. I’ll just have no idea what it actually tastes like for another 14 weeks, I suppose you can’t really go that far wrong as the bulk of the flavour is fruit and booze

I’ve already started buying gifts, family are dropping more hints than usual so I’m just biting the bullet.
I also don’t generally do any special cooking unless I’m hosting (family each take it in turns to host).

Not quite sure where my mind was, but was not expecting the “C” word to be christmas! I was just intrigued as to where the thread was going :joy:

1 Like

Ha ha I just knew someone would be thinking of the other C word

Yep it’s vegetable block, was just less typing required, recipe link below

1 Like

Are you making the cake this early so you have one less thing to worry about, or to let it sit and ferment for a couple months?

(have never made a Christmas or fruit cake)

1 Like

Generally on the C word topic, started a Christmas pot for the first time a couple of months ago.

Have money going into it immediately after each pay day and am optimistic that this will be the first year in my ‘adult’ life that I don’t cripple myself for a month or two with all the sudden Nov/Dec spending :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

We started an Xmas post last December for the kids adding £50 a month each month locked the pot also till Demeter or last weekend in November :joy:

1 Like

Yeah make it and then every week you brush more brandy or rum over it then wrap it back up and back into its airtight box for another week, week after take it out flip it over and coat that side with booze, keep going with that until last couple weeks of December when it’ll be time up put marzipan and icing over it

2 Likes

I have a Christmas Saver with my Credit Union, money goes out of my wages before I even see it every month, that account can’t be withdrawn from until 1st November and I think it’s withdrawal function closes on Christmas Day

Oh wow. As in pre-tax or just as your wages hit your account?

Deducted straight from wages before it gets to my bank, work do whatever in the background and send that electronic payment to the CU. I don’t think it does anything to my taxes though, I believe it’s just a straight transfer over as HMRC don’t factor that into the calculation, but I could be wrong.

1 Like

Ditto. Created 1 Dec 2019. £50pm. Unlock 1 Dec 2020 (to pay off the purchases on the credit card lol)

1 Like

Cakes in the oven my arms nearly fell off trying to stir it altogether. The mixture tastes like a Christmas cake so hopefully the baked version cooks well and resembles a cake 🤦

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Removed Posts - March 2021