The Big Issue teams up with Monzo to make its magazine 'resellable'

This looks like an interesting initiative - Monzo is helping the
unbanked homeless with the Big Issue:

https://www.bigissue.com/latest/big-issue-becomes-first-resellable-magazine-with-pay-it-forward-launch/

(This better not be an April fools)

16 Likes

Fantastic :+1:

1 Like

Heard rumours of this a while ago, great idea. Really like ideas like this that reinvent something for the better.

6 Likes

This is amazing, I usually leave the magazine with the seller so they have the option to re-sell it as I know intend to only want a quick glance, however this is just great! Hopefully it’ll mean I have something to read quickly whilst also being able to pass on the magazine and any further potential earnings.

Another example of how I though the banking without barriers campaign was a bit of “show” but this just goes to show how hey are practically implementing this idea. Great on everyone at monzo!

3 Likes

I love this - I can’t believe I am actually proud of my bank, so weird.

Question - and this shows my ignorance - how will homeless people manage their Monzo account? I assume they are going to need a phone, can you get a contract if homeless? Pay as you go?

1 Like

That’s actually pretty cool. I hope to see more vendors with contactless terminals too as I never have change on me.

2 Likes

Someone should be able to use a Monzo account as a normal bank account if they don’t have a smartphone (after signing up). They just wouldn’t be able to use any of the “smart” features without a smartphone.

1 Like

You can get a cheap Android 6 phone for ÂŁ30 and then either use free WiFi (libraries, city centres, etc) or a cheap pay-as-you-go provider like giffgaff.

4 Likes

It will be interesting to see how Monzo support the process, helping people get on a phone and get connected.

Bloody good stuff here Monzo, good work.

1 Like

Pretty much all homeless people are given mobile phones by charities

1 Like

whats today’s date?

This would be in very poor taste if it’s an April Fools Day joke. I’m sure it isn’t.

1 Like

Just wanted to confirm that this is 100% real, it’s a project that’s been in the works for a while, and isn’t any kind of joke just because of the day we happened to announce it on.

That would be in incredibly poor taste given the nature of this project.

22 Likes

I can’t believe people actually think Monzo would pull this kind of ‘fool’ on April 1st. Of course it’s real.

8 Likes

Will we ever see Monzo money articles/tips in a big issue rather than online?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.