The App Design Thread

Inspired by the card design threads here and elsewhere, and an offshoot of a small side discussion that had developed within a thread on another forum, I thought it would be good to have a place dedicated to discussing the UI and UX of our favourite banking apps.

This is where we can consolidate all of that discussion and compare app design from different banks and finance apps.

I’ll start with N26, naturally, because I feel like their UX was very me . Minimalist and simple with all the complexities taken away, and no unnecessary clutter or ornamentation. The interface is very clean and nicely presented, though no longer looks as nice with the merchant logos in my view.

What I really loved though, were the small touches, and attention to detail. Drag and drop to move funds between spaces. The Jedi gesture to blur out your balances. The floating live chat button, so you could navigate the app, check specific transactions for details without needing to leave the page the chat is on.

3 Likes

That’s fucking cool :flushed:

2 Likes

It’s really cool but it’s also totally undiscoverable / non-obvious.

Same with the Jedi gesture.

I’d love them both but I’d wager most users would never have a clue they were there.

3 Likes

Also the thread title is a bit misleading. I immediately thought of Craft but then realised we’re only talking about banking apps.

1 Like

When you first open the spaces tab and have at least one space in addition to your main account it provides a very obvious prompt:

The Jedi gesture is done the same way. Off by default, explained in settings where you can turn it on and grant it access to the sensor.

I mean, it is in the financial chat and fintech chat category! :wink:

I chose to limit it to finance apps for the same reason the card design thread only looks at debit and credit cards. Not loyalty cards, or business cards etc… I wouldn’t oppose folks wanting to widen the scope to other apps though, so by all means share your thoughts on Craft!

2 Likes

I thought this too haha!! But take the point @N26throwaway!

1 Like

Nicely done. Generally not a fan of app tutorials but that’s quite subtle.

Fair. I guess I’m just not that excited by banking apps any more.

Revolut continue to add features aplenty but their design isn’t anything to shout about.

I love that their app is basically choose your own layout, but acknowledge that that’s a terrible solution for most people.

3 Likes

I want it!

2 Likes