TfL: adding contactless card to account fails

Thanks. I just did the same and apparently my “postcode was missing” as well. Registration on TfL then worked immediately.

Same problem here. Tried a couple of times but with no joy. I dropped few lines in the in-app support as well.
Many thanks

Hi, I’m currently trying to add my new Monzo card to my TFL Contactless Cards on my account and am getting the below error message,

"Sorry, your card could not be added.

Please ensure the card details you provide are correct and the address you enter is exactly as it appears on your payment card statement. If you continue to experience this message please contact your card issuer as there may be a problem with your card."

I have checked the address is exactly as stated in the app. Could you please advise if this is an known issue still?

Hey @ben.kingsnorth - there’s a pretty straightforward fix for this :slightly_smiling_face: If you reach out via the in app help, one of the team will be able to get this sorted for you :+1:

1 Like

I’ve followed all the advice I can find on here, but every time I try to register my card with TFL, I get a message saying ‘sorry, your card could not be added’. I’ve tried this on my laptop and from my Samsung Galaxy. Is this because there is no name on the card? Any suggestions?

This is probably your best bet -

if that’s not the issue, I’d recommend contacting the support team via the in-app chat.

I’ve moved your post here to keep all of the information / advice about this issue in one place.

1 Like

I was hoping to connect my monzo card to my TfL account so that I could track my travel and use the report to claim back for work expenses, however, I wasn’t able to add the card, do anyone know the particular reason why? TfL did an active card check which appeared in my monzo home page.
The addresses for monzo and what is entered into the TfL page match
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

I’m having the same problem as a few of the previous posters. I just keep getting the message:

'Sorry, your card could not be added.

Please ensure the card details you provide are correct and the address you enter is exactly as it appears on your payment card statement. If you continue to experience this message please contact your card issuer as there may be a problem with your card.’

along with an active card check notification.

I’ve tried contacting tfl but haven’t had a reply as of yet and thought I’d check whether anyone could shed any light?

I’m having the same problem. My address matches and I have tried all combinations of my name / number on the front of my card. Anyone had success recently?

I added mine at the start of the year and haven’t had any problems, my Oyster was also registered to a different address interestingly and didn’t impact the registration. Probably best to ask in app for help, good luck!

Thanks Tommy, it turns out there is a sensitivity to what address line you put each part of the address on. So that for mine I had to include the Flat Name on Address Line 1 and the House Name and Street name on Address Line 2. Exactly the same spelling. So I would suggest to anyone who is struggling to try different combinations. Success for me.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion Freddie, will try a few combinations and see if I can work it out!

Hi, I just receive my card and trying to add to TFL no joy, i have checked all detail and apply 6 time with no luck.
Please help.
Thank you in advance.

Get in touch with support through the in-app chat. It’s possible that your address hasn’t been correctly saved with our payment processor. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you Michele and RichardR It’s working now :+1:

Hello, I am having the same issue. I have tried with the exact details from my card letter but it hasn’t worked. Any help would be good!

Let us know that you’re having trouble adding your card to TfL through in-app chat, we’ll fix it. :slight_smile:

For transparency, there’s a bug where addresses aren’t saved properly with our prepaid card payment processor. This can cause declines on address checks (known as AVS or Address Verification System) until we fix it for your card.

This only affects the prepaid Beta cards, current account debit cards are not affected by this issue.

3 Likes

Dear Richard,

Im wondering if you can help please. Ive had a post about having issues to ads the card to the tfl account a few weeks ago but there is no response since. Is there any chance you can help at all?

Regards,
Mircea

Sorry for missing this!

I’m away from any access to Monzo tools for the week but if you get in touch with the rest of the support team by in-app chat and ask for the TfL address fix, one of us should be able to fix this for you!

2 Likes

I tried today too, my address is correct and it’s still not working.