Telling the Mondo story (how do you consume content?)

I’ve recently listened to the interview Tom had with Richard Anson on his blog - very interesting. If you made a podcast along these lines and got feedback from internal Mondo staff first to see if they had learned anything about Mondo from it then I think it would be something the we would also like?

Just saw the Mondo updates in 96 seconds, little rough around the edges but a good start on this.

Some feedback (some minor because I used to do motion graphics, editing and live production):

• Blog video embed needs to be bigger, ideally with something like flex video.
  • Spend a little time and money on audio. Far too much background noise, slightly too much echo for my liking.
  • Lock the camera down please, subtle camera motion is cool but that was all over the place.
  • Calm down on the jump cuts! This is something that comes with experience but try and get good takes before you sit down and edit to reduce the number of edits you need to make.
  • Lower 3rds with link annotations and/or YouTube cards wherever a website/URL is mentioned along with links in the description. Helps drive engagement towards the site, blog and forums.
  • Easing on the card animation would help that feel more natural.
  • Not sure what was up with the transition between the title card and the main video, it started fading but then cut?
  • Title card and end card felt a bit static.
  • Thumbnail landed on a bit of a weird frame.
  • As you produce more content, you may want to add more to that end card. I like how SortedFood do theirs.
  • “Mondo - Building a bank for your smartphone” does not fit on mobile or TV clients and the truncation looks super ugly.
  • If you haven’t already, perform the steps towards verification.

That’s about all I can think of right now, hope these help up the quality of future videos!

2 Likes

Really appreciate this feedback Richard! Copying in @sam too, we’ll look to do more video soon so if you have good contacts or would like to help, let us know.

1 Like

Flex video looks fab :+1:

Thank you Richard, really appreciate your comments here :+1:

The intention with this particular video was to keep it quick and scrappy in order to test the water and see if people responded. There’s always room for improvement though and your thoughts have been noted :slightly_smiling_face: :pencil2:

Thank you!

1 Like

And for a quick test, it was actually rather good! IMO, it’s definitely along the right lines as my comments are mostly technical or YouTube specifics. :grinning:

One more comment, I don’t know what tags you’ve used but you may want to spend a little bit of time on them, they have a HUGE influence on the related videos in the sidebar, where your video appears in YouTube and who it’s recommended to on the front page. At the moment, all of them are completely unrelated videos.

1 Like

Great spot, I’ll change that now… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m a big podcast listener. I am subscribed to about 30 shows maybe, and usually listen on my commute (40 mins either way). Its mostly shows I’ve learned about from Twitter or other shows. Lots from Relay.fm, 5by5.tv and a selection of independent ones.

If you’re talking about engaging the community, there’s one I listen to called Giant Robots Smashing into Other Giant Robots, and, despite the name, is a frank discussion between two guys who run products made by a company called Thoughtbot. One is an online learning tool, the other is a form tool for developers. They discuss their latest business activities in growth tactics, changes to the product, marketing, sales, user engagement, etc, and its a really good insight into the inner workings. Its a format that may work well for what you’re considering perhaps.

Aside from that, you could consider regular Periscope events. I’ve enjoyed tuning into Periscope’s own streams where they are launching new features, and they discuss how it works, show it off, as well as it being a good chance to meet people on the team. Its great because its pretty low in the demand on the creator. Just start streaming and talking. No editing, and you’ve got chat built right in.

Not in London by Mark Steadman is a good guy for podcasting advise