Targets

That’s great. I’ve build a small node app to track my daily spending and let me know via the IFTTT notification app when I approach/ hit/ exceed my daily limit but this is exactly what I was looking for.

Hope testing is going well - is there an eta for these features?

1 Like

Tomorrow, October 1st.

@hugo Do you realise that “Netflix and Chill” is euphemism for sex ?
Doesn’t really seem appropriate for Monzo :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I realise. What a coincidence if I would not, right? :wink: We were just trying to inject a bit of humour.

Ideally the app shouldn’t require any explanation but Targets is such a unique feature that we didn’t think anything better than asking you to read a few paragraphs. People don’t like to read so we thought that dropping a funny nugget maybe would catch your eye and convince you to read the whole thing searching for another joke or some sort of closure.

And for those that do read these things we thought it’d be a nice joke, a bit funny and down with the kids. The intention of course is not to be obscene… hope it didn’t offend you :innocent:

Of course, if we get more feedback in this direction we’ll tune it down :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Errrr…
Its Oct 1st and no new features have appeared in my TF build :frowning:

There mudt be a time they have set it to launch. I would guess at midday, but it is only a guess. I would also assume we will get a notification once it’s available.

1 Like

Just so we’re clear. What’s the version number we can expect to see this feature appear in? I’m running on 1.7.2 #270.

That’s a newer build than the TestFlight release… I would imagine they will roll it out across all versions of the iOS App, but that’s just my logic talking.

It’s activated for me now on the standard App Store (non-TestFlight) app

Where do I find it? Have you made a transaction today?

Just found it. Spending tab, top left Targets link! :Doh:

3 Likes

Doh! Indeed. Just set mine up. Looks good. Really looking forward to seeing it in action :smile:

1 Like

Yep I see it too.
Maybe it was there all the time… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think @hugo and the Monzo team are doing really great things with this app, showing people what they spend on , when and where they spend it, and now showing self determined targets is a superb financial help and gives us the ability to some extent to control our spending if we need to, this has got to be the way forward for banking. Hats off to you all. Love it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m so glad you guys think this is a step in the right direction :slight_smile:

Just to extend your “Monzo team” comment… in order to release this feature we’ve worked together about a dozen of us: iOS and backend devs, product management, community management (we’ve tested it with around 40~50 users in-house) and designers. I think it’s a great example of the “Monzo way” :monzo:

Good luck sticking to those Targets :wink:

7 Likes

Waiting for Targets like :stuck_out_tongue:

The targets button is not obvious at all, I realised that it was added only after reading the comments here.

That’s true but it’s not one that you’ll be using very often so it should be fairly out of the way.

Once the blog post is published (which I’m guessing is coming :soon:) you’ll know where to look.

Targets allows you to put in a general target which is higher than your balance. In my spending tab it shows a green sum (My target of £400), but I only have a card balance of £250. I have one tab which is green with the message that I can spend money, and this does not tie up with the balance screen.

I don’t think its a bug, but maybe the logic needs to be rethought. Maybe a “!” or a comment next to the total target?

Thoughts?

1 Like

I don’t think this is a bug either.

Just to give explain the context, for anyone new to Monzo - while Monzo doesn’t have a banking license - so no FSCS protection or direct debits - a lot of Monzo users don’t want to transfer their entire pay check to their prepaid :mondo: card.

But the user knows how much money they have to spend each month from their other bank account(s). If you set your Overall Monthly Target to that figure then you can see exactly how much money you have left to spend in the current month (your true balance), rather than just seeing what you’ve transferred to your card so far.

I can see where you’re coming from but I’m not sure an ! is necessary either to be honest. I’m already used to seeing that remaining amount, from my monthly target figure, as my balance and not worrying that I have less money available on my card.