Switched from Monzo to a legacy bank (Barclays) šŸ’«

Some of the newer cards are Mastercard (eg a debit card linked with the university of Singapore) but mostly Visa. If you look at the top 5 cards at Citibank, theyā€™re all with Visa.
There are more credit cards with Mastercard compared to the number of debit cards, but from my personal experience I probably can count on one hand the number of times Iā€™ve seen someone I know use Mastercard.

When I worked in retail the ratio of Visa/Mastercard/Amex cards I saw was probably like 6: 3: 1

Yep, again using securecode to shift liability. No me gusta.

Have we derailed this thread though ?@GalaxyMergirl

I donā€™t think so. Some of this should be moved to 3-D Secure, yes. But, at the same time, it keeps coming up as a blocker for switching to Monzo. If people are encountering this enough, it needs resolved to address that and win switchers.

So, a bit of bothā€¦ The finer implementation details (what it should look like, etc) should probably be continued over there. But personally, I think the ā€˜is this a show stopper?ā€™ fits here nicely.

Hopefully we can have our cake this year. One possibility is Monzo is waiting for the new 3-D Secure standards coming soon. These should reduce a lot of the pain points from my understanding.

2 Likes

In the end I went with Starling, it just had got there whilst Monzo was still travelling, DD, Apple Pay etc, I also prefer the Goals to Pots as I can view several of them together, oh and no charge for foreign ATM withdrawal.

3 Likes

I can say that as long as Monzo keep their foreign card use structure the same, I will stick with them. I travel a lot and, small as they are, FX fees get under my skin. To be free of that is worth the teething problems for me.

I still have accounts at Metro Bank, but mainly just savings. Iā€™m not sold on pots just yet, but partially Iā€™ve just not had time to explore them.

Iā€™m also an investor and am concerned that the development pipeline comments being made are about migration of pre-pay to CA. I thought the benefit of Monzo would be that their technical legacy would be better managed and therefore they would not need to devote all effort to the migration. I appreciate it isnā€™t quite flicking a switch activity but am I alone in being shocked by how difficult it seems to be. You get similar comments from the big banks. Monzo will fail if it does not out compete the big banks here and ensure they do not build this technical debt.

5 Likes

The problem here is that migration relies on the end user to complete it. Customers are under no obligation right now to do this. A firm timeline will be set in place in the coming months and then focus can shift back to features :ok_hand:

Okay, but this does not and cannot explain why other feature development is
suspended. Allow customers to migrate whenever they want, and therefore
shift focus to new features. I donā€™t understand why the migration needs
developer engagement stillā€¦

5 Likes

Some things Iā€™m aware of would be:

• users who were in the prepaid queue that half completed the process, and so are stuck at a ā€˜0ā€™ position in the CA queue
  • monzo.me still going to a prepaid account, then transferring to the users CA, instead of straight to CA
  • additional UI messaging to those still on prepaid, as it is unnecessary cost for them still be be on prepaid

I would assume more than just those exist, and that they will be solved now that people are back from Christmas and New Year break.

2 Likes

Youā€™ve summed it up quite well.

There is also focus on the migration because the intention is to shut it down. This has an end date, new features donā€™t!

Also, features are being worked on, CASS, for one :ok_hand: itā€™s not that all focus has switched :blush:

1 Like

I have Barclays account for over 12 yrs. They accelerated quite nicely tech side recently.
I have Monzo for few months now and when my ā€˜testingā€™ finished I use it less now. I am not going to switch to an account and I guess I will close it shortly. Android app is ok, but looks like it is lacking.
The only bits I will miss are instant notifications and notes to transactions. If Barclays add those, then no point to stick to Monzo at all.

3 Likes

I think youā€™ve hit the nail on the head here and that is the big banks with their 1000s of development staff are seeing the shift and are developing rapidly to get the main features people want. While already having the things we are waiting for like Apple Pay.

Itā€™s not a great ask for pending payments in fact several old banks have added this and notifications I canā€™t imagine are far behind. Adding logos and making a feed more interesting arenā€™t going to be hard to add either.

The budgeting and stuff is the hard bits and that is where old banks may stumble as they donā€™t view it as their responsibility really. However there is plenty of apps that pickup that slack itā€™s just will people will be willing to make Monzo that one central place over 2/3 apps to make what Monzo is and wants to be (a financial control centre)

7 Likes

Thanks James. Your assessment is startlingly obvious, come to think of it (which I hadnā€™t).

Instant notifications and money management tools pretty much account for the vast majority of wants. And I suspect the core demographic will secretly be more than happy to run apps alongside their bank account to meet their daily needs. Itā€™s what that app store is all about :smirk:.

Itā€™ll pay the mobile banks to think hard about this in terms of direction of travel. Whatā€™s going to attract the audience for the longer term?

A thought provoker, and no mistake.

1 Like

You do know the challengerā€™s plans for this, right? I would explain myself but I donā€™t have time right now.

The plan isnā€™t just to give users access to the appā€™s functionality within the challengerā€™s apps is it?

Iā€™m more taken by the notion James raises about the potential for existing high street bank development teams to rapidly respond and narrow the excitement gap.

Ultimately it feels like functionality alone wonā€™t win the day - customer service, the softer stuff, will surely have a greater part to play. Both Monzo and Starling forums put a lot of store in the relationship account holders should have with their respective bank.

6 Likes

Sure, itā€™s going to take both functionality & a good relationship to satisfy users. I think the challengers have to be strong in both areas.

Itā€™s definitely not impossible for the legacy banks to catch up with what the challengers have now. As Iā€™ve said before, theyā€™ve only delivered the basics.

The question is, can the legacy banks catch up before the challengers innovate more, especially when it comes to the clever stuff that the truly digital challengers will be able to do.

And will they successfully reorientate their business model so that itā€™s service, as opposed to product, orientated.

3 Likes

And thatā€™s really the point. And even if they can, do they think they need to?

Itā€™ll be fascinating to see quite what the genuine challengers will have delivered and embedded in 18 months or so.

And your latter point about the legacy business model:
Itā€™d be one thing to refocus their developers into innovation - quite another to reorientate the whole approach to customer satisfaction. A big askā€¦

3 Likes

I think many of the traditional banks would argue they orientated to a service approach a long time ago. Is there really product innovation in consumer finance? Theres has been tinkering around the edges but credit cards, overdrafts, mortgages havenā€™t really radically differed. That their service orientation misses the mark with customers is a important but it is being tolerated by customers.

For me (and l have mentioned this elsewhere) is when price comes into the proposition and whilst ā€˜freeā€™ banking remains the current fintech entrants will never really leverage their real benefit, that their cost are lower. Service is important too, but innovationā€¦ can l live without notifications/emojis yes l probably can.

One of the real benefits of the internet is that the cost of use fell significantly and for things like Facebook, Twitter et al itā€™s free if l sacrifice my personal data and insights. Until fintech entrants can tap into that, they will always have an enthusiastic base but will they wonā€™t significantly brake into mainstream.

My partner and l are very similar in many ways (not looks l have them) he doesnā€™t get my fintech thing. For him itā€™s all about having stuff in the same place, interacting via the same channel etc. I say ā€œwell thereā€™s an API for thatā€ he shrugs his shoulders and says whatever l will stay where l am.

To get to a billion accounts there are many people like that to persuade and for me the easiest quickest way to influence them folk is through cost. Until cost is an issue in the UK fintech entrants wonā€™t storm the market. It will be really interesting to see how Monzo performs in markets where there is cost such as Europe and the US. My guess is whilst Monzo is born of UK itā€™s more successful markets in terms of pick up, retention, income generation will be outside the UK.

1 Like

Maybe they would but they havenā€™t. Hereā€™s Monzoā€™s co-founderā€™s explanation of what that can really be -

I think we can all agree that, thatā€™s not what the challenger banks are pinning their value proposition on :slight_smile:

Iā€™m not sure what you mean by this? The challengers will be analysing our personal data to provide insights & earn revenue.

You can get used to that, itā€™s going to take a while for some people to see how what the challengers are doing is different :slight_smile:

Cost is an issue (although not the only one), the legacy banks make about half their revenue from punitive fees - the fees that the challengers arenā€™t charging. Customers know this (even if they donā€™t know how the revenue models are structured) & they donā€™t like it.

1 Like

Think my point was here was the internet became free on that premise, l am happy for my browsing history to be known used for insights. Am l happy to for my bank transactions to be used in that way. I am, not sure the wider population is ready for that.

Absolutely Banks have cloaked free banking in this model. I know itā€™s not free! But for me it is my DDs donā€™t bounce, l never go overdrawn etc but some poor folk are paying for my ā€˜freeā€™ banking. But letā€™s say l incurred a couple of charges a year, would that in my mind be resolved that the rest of my banking is free. Maybe. For me l think the fintech entrants need to get together and start pushing Government that they have a more cost effective sustainable business model than Banks. That would benefit those less well off through less charges and budgeting tools. People shouldnā€™t be paying Ā£8, Ā£15, Ā£25 for a returned direct debit when all it is one line in an electronic file being sent. Until we rid the notion that banking whilst in credit is ā€˜freeā€™ in this country l fear the market will not radically change.

2 Likes