Supporting People to Self-Exclude from Gambling

Don’t snap, reach out to the vunrable customer team. Let’s see if from this conversation they can get card withdrawal cash limits put in ahead of full launch. They might see your posts and see if there is any early schemes if you reach out.

I don’t know on the policies or process but doesn’t hurt to ask. I will want a £20 limit when they roll it out in future if they think I’m suitable !

5 Likes

I’ve been that person in my past with the notes. My local branch used to give me free cans, brews and even food when I would be in there for hours at a time.

Yep I’m not proud of my past but I feel ready to share and stand up for the people probably in the place I was 2 years ago.

7 Likes

Would it be possible to get a version of this that we can turn off instantly? I’ve never gambled in my life and would like this as a security feature like blocking magstripe ATMs, but I’d like to be able to turn it off instantly if I decide I do want to place a bet for whatever reason.

Good on you!

1 Like

I’d be really against that option. Most people who gamble act on impulse. I often go for a walk with the dogs etc by time I’m back the urge has gone. I’d be dangerous with instant !

A smoker has short bursts of cravings. A gambler has a short craving and can loose their entire saiary/rent

4 Likes

I realise you can’t speak for everyone, but if there was an option for either approach, would you believe yourself to be more likely to choose the less severe option?

It seems like it’s a tough balance for me. I wonder if there would be people struggling with the addiction who wouldn’t have the motivation/commitment to commit to the 48 hour version vs a less severe block, but similarly I’d expect there’d be people who would be comfortable to make the leap, but who would pick the less severe route given the choice.

I’m not quite sure if you understood my suggestion. I’m not saying this as an instead of. This would not be for self-exclusion; it would be to prevent card not present fraud on gambling sites. It would be in addition to the self-exclusion feature, not instead of.

2 Likes

Apologies I really did misunderstand, sorry :frowning:

1 Like

I think if someone has had “courage” or need to get the place in, then they’re needs to be that “thinking” time. I would prob find a way to talk myself out of the block.

I was excluded for 5 years from a big chain but managed to talk the customer service into lifting ban. Making up excuse that I was now in a way better paid job !

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Dannytc - it means a lot to the folks who built this.

19 Likes

Gambling companies are regulated in the areas they operate; if you take on UK customers, you must be regulated by the UK Gambling Commission (regardless of if you’re regulated in other markets).

In practice it’s actually really important to help problem gamblers; while in the short term they could be seen as a source of fast cash, it is never worth it to allow problem gamblers even if regulation didn’t enforce it (it’s too risky!). This is currently in the process of rolling out so if you self-exclude with GamStop, you will be excluded from all UK operators (the deadline for this being fully rolled out is relatively soon).

:raised_hands: I’m excited to see where this leads!

(I work for a betting/gaming company)

3 Likes

Thank you very much I’ve just signed up to Gamstop

2 Likes

I wonder if @monzo could make an even bigger impact.

GamStop does a complete ID verification via your credit file, to ensure you are only able to block yourself from all sites etc. Gamstop then send out a database daily to all participating venues of anyone who has opted in.

I wonder if in the future Monzo could somehow opt into it, and use it to highlight people to automatically include, as the person has already opted into gamstop? I guess this might not be a route to go, might be costly route and require a process to maintain, or might be a step too far? Just a suggestion. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great idea and something that is needed by banks. I’ve already spoken to support regarding this and, I’m not gonna best about the bush nor am I gonna be ashamed to admit it but part of my disorder is compulsive spending and it’s not just gambling that needs to be looked at. Certain transactions such Facebook in game purchases can just be as financially draining at gambling so this must be included from the onset too :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m the same as you when it comes to compulsive spending. I really need more help from my bank in helping me to curb my spending.

2 Likes

This is more under the mental health help but applies to other things so i’ll say it here, could be useful to someone.

I was having a really bad week last week, my head was a complete mess. Could see my spending going up and I started thinking about increasing my overdraft (I have it set at £50 in case direct debit is early)
Got on to chat at 11pm to ask they block me increasing my overdraft without speaking to them first. She spoke to someone and within an hour it was sorted and that anxiety was gone. Back to normal this week with no lasting financial damage.

If you need something just ask. If they can’t provide what you need then you’re no worse off. But if they can, it saves sorting out a mess after

7 Likes

I do find the pots very very useful as I’ve set them up for car payment, insurance, rent, mobile bill and council tax etc and do find them very useful. But that doesn’t take away the risk much.

What I think is needed is to set up pots that match the direct debit and once that money is in the pot it stays there until the direct debit is taken. I know we currently get a message saying a DD is coming out tomorrow and to move money from a pot but if it was all automated that would be just awesome

1 Like

Well done for having the discipline to think like that. With compulsive spending I’m not entirely sure how Monzo can help.

@Kjs1977 I use pots for DDs however at the moment I have to remember to transfer money to the main pot (Monzo hasn’t informed me of an upcoming DD but they have for standing orders). It would be really useful to have a DD pot where DDs come out of, so you know not to touch it.

I personally don’t have a problem paying bills, its the spare money I have a problem with and I struggle to make it last all month.

Have you read this blog post a year ago? I really like the option for reversing compulsive late-night spending. I’m not sure if this was mentioned in the recent mental health week updates.

1 Like

Thanks for highlighting that blog post. So many profound tools that I hope to see released soon. Would be cool to see a tool that helps me to be more disciplined with budgets/spread out over the month.

1 Like