Super Dodgy Scam

Your screenshot still doesn’t prove anything :confused:. In fact it’s just asking you to do more before you receive your “reward” and I’d be extremely cautious entering any personal details.

The vast majority of these are scams. That is a fact.

It’s best advised that you avoid these entirely. There’s a reason they’re too good to be true.

9 Likes

Sorry your right I just cropped out my link I was sent to redeem the gift card. I agree with you that the majority of these are scams. And even this probably is to an extent where unless you follow every requirement to the letter they will disqualify you from being eligible for any reward. On my one they were advertising £750
Via PayPal not Monzo, and I’ve seen ones where they offer £750 Via cash app too. I just took the chance on it I expected not to receive anything. And at first one I did it i was plagued with marketing calls from the 3rd party sites whos offers I had completed. But after 2 weeks of submitting the claim form and proof of address I received an email the one I attached in my previous post. With a link to Tango Card. They are the provider who provide the gift cards. So I had a choice of different gift cards to purchase, e.g Apple, amazon tk max, Asda etc. So it wasn’t to my PayPal or Monzo as they usually advertise. So it is misleading in that way. I’m presuming they make more from the advertisers who’s offers we complete, and the gift cards must obviously cost a lot less than the cash incentive they offer initially. Again not advertising them at all. And if you don’t want to be plagued by marketing calls. Then also avoid. Just sharing that surprisingly they did payout, just not in the form they advertise. I ended up with an amazon gift card instead. Happy to answer any questions anybody has

What did you send them to verify your address?

At first I sent my phone bill, but they emailed back to say they don’t accept phone bills or bank statements. As I live at home i was like I don’t have my name on any Utility bills or council tax bills That they asked for, so they asked for a utility bill in the bill payers name and then a payslip from myself to confirm residency there.

So you joined the forum to tell people that a known scam is actually legit?

1 Like

No I’ve been a member of the forum, for ages just never posted and stumbled upon this thread last night. So just thought I’d share my experience. I’m not telling anyone to do it. Just posting that I got a gift card out of it. Couldn’t care less if nobody participates

So you’ve sent a known scam, a payslip, with your national insurance number, tax reference, address and payment amounts? After sending them a utility bill with your address, that they suddenly didn’t accept?

Right.

So if you just think abstractly for a second… How many pieces of documentation do you normally need with proof of address, in order to open financially related accounts? Ah, yeah. 2.

8 Likes

Do you not usually need photo ID? Plus the utility bill wasn’t in my name?

What you’ve done there is opened yourself up for identity theft. One of the UKs top car leasing firms continually blog about people who try to take out contracts in other peoples names because all you need are the documents you sent to the scammers.

Here is one example: (ignore the design of the website, btw, this is what they’re famous for :D)

This is what these “reward” websites created for - to harvest your details for things like this. You should never send those kind of documents to companies you don’t know/trust.

Same happens for phones, bank loans, credit cards and so on…

2 Likes

Suppose your right actually :see_no_evil:. Can they really apply for things with the other thing they have in my name is 1 payslip, no photo ID etc?

They will certainly try.

Scammers are good at convincing people they’re legitimate, so all they’d do is say something like “I’m not comfortable showing you my photo, but as proof it’s me I can also provide you with a recent utility bill or payslip?”

I don’t actually think there is a way of verifying your picture? I could be wrong, but sticking any old photo on there as long as the address and licence number is valid could be another way around it.

1 Like

Hmmm, I’ll have to keep an eye on my credit report then, the only thing is my credit score is rock bottom, so I’m won’t be approved for any loans etc anyway. But I can keep an eye on the credit report searches? That’s the only thing I can do at the minute isn’t there? Hoping because I blanked out everything else other than the name and address I should be ok? And they did only ask for 1 document

For credit online, you don’t need photo ID.

I’d keep a very close eye on your credit report. You can get it for free from Credit Karma.

1 Like

Thanks, I get email alerts for any types of quotation searches etc, so if I ever see one I don’t recognise, I should just report it to the company who ran it?

I just bought the protective registration on clear score for 2.99 a month

Out of interest, can you remember any of the questions they asked in all of the ‘surveys’ they asked you to do? Did any of the questions ask which companies you hold accounts with/have interacted with in the past?

As for what else you can do, then it’s possible you could register for protective registration with Cifas ( https://www.cifas.org.uk/services/identity-protection/protective-registration), which essentially places a flag next to your name instructing financial institutions to carry out additional checks to verify your identity.

If you don’t do that, and somebody does use your identity for fraudulent purposes, the banks may well place a marker on the database anyway confirming you were the victim of identity theft, which is potentially worse.

BUT you must understand the repurcusions of doing so — you will not be able to apply for any automated finances as those automated processes will just instantly reject your application and/or flag it for manual review. Additionally you will be required to send more documentation than normal. I’ve never used it, nor do I have any knowledge of anyone who has, but it’s certainly something I’d personally consider doing in this scenario.

Interesting that clearscore offer this. For info, it’s £25 for 2 years if you go directly to cifas. I don’t know what, if anything, clearscore offer on top of this. If they offer nothing then that’s an incredible markup for a product aimed at potentially vulnerable customers!

The surveys were offers and free trials so the likes of an amazon prime trial, a grwze box trial, so the offers were not giving direct information to flash rewards i completes the offers on 3rd party sites if that makes sense. They are reputable companies. It was only when the offers were validated as complete I had to send the proof of address

Oh dear, never send any of your details to things like this, it’s not a reputable source, alarm bells should be ringing when they want full documentation for offering money rewards

3 Likes

Why did they need ID or proof of address from you full stop?