Summary screen not showing "Bills" in spending section correctly?

(Alex) #1

I got paid today and my rent came out on the same day. It initially came out as “General” so I had to edit the category and mark it as a bill. It now appears under committed spending as a Bill, but in the Spending section above (the one I have a Budget set for), it’s not taking the amount out of the budget.

Is this correct functionality? Is there any point me having a “Bills” section in spending if it’s not going to track a budget correctly?

Thanks!

(MikeF) #2

If it was a Standing Order then this is correct functionality.

Your Committed Spend (currently Standing Orders only) is taken out of your budget because they are already committed and you have no control over them. Your Budget is now much more for your discretionary spend (currently including Direct Debits until the work is done to include those in the Committed section).

(Peter G) #3

I think this might be the expected functionality, but I don’t think it’s necessarily helpful - at least not for me.

My budget doesn’t work on discretionary spend, but in my total outgoings. Whether I pay a bill by a one-off payment or via a direct debit it’s still helpful to me to understand how much - as a whole - is left to me in the Bill category.

Does it work for you? How do you use it?

The reason it’s this way is because if, for example, you get paid £1500, but then £750 goes out immediately on rent, the dial would show that you’ve already spent half of your money for the entire month.

On the flipside, if your rent didn’t go out for another three weeks, for most of the month the dial would show that you have £750 more than you actually have to spend. By excluding any standing orders, you have a more accurate figure of how much spending money you have.

You can also manually flag transactions that you don’t want the dial to take into account.

(Alex) #5

Hmm… useful to know. Does this also happen for Direct Debits then? Do they show up in Committed Spending? What’s the point of the Bills category then? How often do you pay a bill that isn’t an SO or DD?

(Peter G) #6

I think that’s confusing two things. Sure, there needs to be logic for the dial, but this probably needs to be separate from the budget / targets functionality - I might be in the minority here, but I can’t see how this can be effective unless the budgets span both committed and discretionary spend?

(I also think that committed is a bit confusing - it sounds like future stuff to me, rather than recurring. I originally expected transactions to move from the committed to spending sections as the month progressed - that would have made sense to me and would have made the budget/target stuff work, too).

I do understand what you’re saying, but personally my bills are the same every month, so I have no need to set a target for the Bills category.

I do agree that the term Commited Spending is confusing. I think once direct debits are included, this section should just become Bills & Subscriptions.