Subscription Boxes

I’m quite enjoying Unboxed Vegan: https://www.unboxedvegan.co.uk

2 Likes

I like the look of that one but then I read that it’s £15 a month and a box of 3-5 books every 3 months (plus other stuff). So £45 for 3-5 books… I think I’d rather just buy a book I actually wanted every month. :man_shrugging:

Kinda the problem with Sub Boxes, you sometimes get a really cool thing but you also get a bunch of stuff you probably wont like or need.

I still use my Library Card and use https://tastedive.com/books for ideas on what to read next. You can ‘order’ library books online and then pop in and pick them up :smiley:

1 Like

The loveliest one I’ve done is a subscription from Daunt books for my youngest: https://www.dauntbooks.co.uk/subscriptions/
She wants to study English and devours books, but a lot of what she reads is prescribed by her A level course. I went into the shop and spoke with one of the sales assistants about her, what she enjoys reading, books she hasn’t enjoyed etc. ( you can have this conversation by phone I think if you’re not London based) They send her a novel a month ( through the post, beautifully wrapped!) based on this conversation and so far have sent her some wonderful literary fiction and really expanded her taste. If they send something she has already read she can send it back for something else. We are half way through the year now and so far they’ve been a hit each month. It’s quite expensive (£160/year for the 12 books) but I think has been a real success and a really lovely gift.

2 Likes

Oh that looks very cool! I like that they get someone to give you personalised recommendations.

I might have to put the Coin Jar to use and save up for it though! :smiley:

1 Like

The Daunt subscription is lovely, and an ideal present for one of my nieces! Though I’d have to buy the others something of a comparable price :flushed:

1 Like

This has come up in community;

1 Like

http://www.cheeseposties.com/isnomore If this is what I think it was then I’d of loved it… cheese subscription? I love cheese but unfortunetly they are no longer trading :frowning:

They were still in business a month ago

You’ve ruined my weekend and probably the rest of my life as well. It was my aspirational goal to subscribe to that one day :sob:

2 Likes

Would it not be cheaper to do cheese toasties yourself? It is such a cute subscription box though, I’m a sucker for food boxes

I watched a YouTube review for the cheese toast postie a few months back and I remember finding it amusing people would pay to get two slices of white bread and some mild cheddar cheese in the post. Unrefrigerated. N to the O thanks.

2 Likes

They weren’t just cheese toasties. There was Apple pie toastie, chocolate fudge cake toastie, macaroni cheese toastie, French onion soup toastie… think there was about 30 varieties

So much packaging for two slices of bread and some filling!

2 Likes

That’s the one. He’s hilarious, I recommend his other reviews. Grumpy Brit in action.

Yeah I funnily watched this video today before reading this thread. His reviews of TV infomercial products are really funny!

I thought that, cheese goes off so fast, they would have to encase it with dry ice or something which would bulk up the package so much. I like the idea of it fitting through my letterbox but I found with a lot of subscription boxes the postman doesn’t even bother trying to slip it through and instead gives you a redelivery slip :weary:

So here’s an interesting thing.

I saw your post, and then I got an advert for Harry’s on Instagram.

In the comments, someone mentioned a boycott of the company.

I proceeded to Google it.

Turns out the “boycott” was arranged by a bunch of alt-right, red pill, misogynist types. They were angry that Harry’s are openly feminist supporting and ran a campaign about the dangers of toxic masculinity culture. One of the websites was called “War against the white male” which I thought might be satire… Nope.

Mind-boggling stuff.

Anyway. I’m now highly considering signing up to the Harry’s service.

Any company with the guts to fight toxic masculinity culture when their product is aimed at men has got my vote. Bold, and progressive move.

13 Likes

I didn’t realise it was just cheese toasties, I don’t suppose anyone can recommend any cheese subscriptions?

I love the cheese you can get at the Christmas markets and recently found a wide variety of cheese while visiting Chester market. Cheers.

I’ve used Manrags recently - they’re a subscription service for men’s underwear and socks based in Australia, but they have free shipping worldwide.

They seem to offer a variety of options depending on how often you wants socks and/or underwear, but at the moment they’re offering the first month subscription of just socks for 2 AUD (~ £1.10) or socks and underwear for 5 AUD (~£2.78) - so I went for both to see what they were like. (They charge in AUD so using Monzo was great for currency conversion! :+1: :mondo:)

They seem of decent quality and are comfortable, and not bad for the promotional prices, but I’m not sure I’ll be sticking with them at the normal prices - $14 for socks each month, $25 for both each month.

You don’t get to choose the design they’ll send you, but they’re all quite colourful and patterned though which is fun.

If anyone does want to try them, if three people use my link I get some free socks! :socks:
https://www.manrags.com.au/refer/James-VRGRVSWJ

Unfortunately they don’t seem to offer anything for you in return for using it I don’t think :cry: but you should be able to use the promo codes still at least!

(And a here’s a normal link if people would prefer https://www.manrags.com.au/)

I never knew that! I think its a really good company, the products are really good too!
Bit weird about the Instagram post… Facebook stalking there!!

If you do sign up… Dont forget to use my link! :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve clicked your link, but when I get to the final screen it’s trying to charge me £11 instead of the trial price and states “Product Unavailable” :thinking: