Starling Feedback

You might want to post that on Starling’s forum, I don’t imagine their staff read Monzo’s forum! (Or maybe they do?)

6 Likes

Thread is titled Starling Feedback

Nothing wrong in posting whatever Starling related praise or critique :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah, definitely nothing wrong with pointing out great things that Starling are doing. :+1:

It just struck me as odd to write a message addressed to Starling on a Monzo forum, as I don’t think they’ll see it. I’ve edited my comment :arrow_up: to include the quote I was responding to so it’s clear.

But I agree that direct SEPA support is a great feature and achievement for Starling. :tada:

1 Like

Well that gives us an answer for all those people banging on about it here.

1 Like

I find it odd that Monzo users often say negative things about Starling on a Monzo forum, so to ease the balance I offered praise for Starling on this Monzo forum …simples

2 Likes

Sadly, everyone perceives ‘balance’ differently in their own heads which is why this thread seems to get so confrontational at times and why the forum guidelines beseech everyone to ignore the tone in all other posts since the tone is largely in the readers head rather than the writers fingers.

If everyone just stuck to the facts rather than offsetting perceived this, that or the other then I think things would run a little more smoothly.

4 Likes

It’s not a competition.

I can see you’re an advocate of Starling, and that is great.

Although, I can’t help but feel, based on some of your previous posts, that your purpose on this forum is try and sell Starling, even when it is not necessarily all that relevant to the thread.

That might explain why it seems a bit “out of the blue” or that it’s on the wrong forum. Just a thought.

6 Likes

@danbeddows that is not the case, I do NOT use this forum to favour or promote Starling!

Then I apologise. I just read, as I’m sure you can see, quotes that may carry that sentiment.

Please remember that just as you wanted to be free to respond to your perception of other people’s ‘negative’ posts 4 or 5 posts back, so others will want to be free to respond to their perception of your posts. (To be fair, you did openly state that you posted positively to redress some sort of ‘balance’ so the interpretation should not be a surprise.)

If we can please keep opinions of other peoples motivations from colouring future posts it will be better for everyone.

3 Likes

I’m tempted to reopen an account to give this a try - I’m wondering whether SEPA is instant like UK Faster Payments are.

Be worth posting here if you’re able to reopen your account, because as recently as October it wasn’t possible. Would be good to know if this has been sorted.

https://community.monzo.com/t/starling-feedback/9345/650?u=jzw95

I agree that the SEPA support is really interesting. I have a Starling account but no way to test the SEPA functionality at the moment (unless you want to send me a SEPA payment :wink:) but if I do before anyone else posts here, I’ll share my experience.

Well technically I didn’t reopen it, I just downloaded the app and signed up as new using a new number and address. Given this is a new address and the credit bureaus don’t know about it yet the automatic check failed so I have to make myself an invoice (or other official-looking paper) to use as proof of address.

1 Like

have starling mentioned how much these payments will cost? :eyes:

Regular SEPA Credit Transfers (SCT) are not but SEPA Instant Credit Transfers (SCTinst) will be. Banks accross Europe have started phasing in SCTinst and it should be completed within about 18months

As for cost they have not said yet. However from a EUR account they should under EU SEPA Regs be at the same cost as a national transfer so in most countries they are free or about 20p, on a GBP account the same rules don’t apply but their competitors such as Monese and Fidor UK charge about £2.50

SEPA transfers are not yet available. When I asked earlier today, they said they’d provide all details once they are.

1 Like

To be fair, Dan, there’s no shortage of positive remarks about the Monzo account over on the Starling forum.

6 Likes

24 posts were split to a new topic: Change of Address Disussion (spun out of Starling Feedback thread)

Responses to this post have ben moved to their own thread.

Starling specific discussions may carry on here.

So speaking of opening a Starling account, it seems like they automatically fail incomplete applications after some time - I initially tried to open an account a week ago or so, provided my ID but had nothing as a proof of address so I left it until today when I managed to get (and print out - no PDFs accepted at Starling) a proof of account ownership from Monzo with my address on it, however by then the app just says they were unable to open an account with the details provided.

They also provide a list of helpful tips like providing your full name, being on the electoral roll, etc… well that’s great, thanks for the info, but how do I apply again/submit more information? Really great UX, good job Starling! There is also no way to get in touch with customer services from that screen, no live chat or anything.

Deleting the app and reinstalling allows you to start over but they identify you by mobile number so my current number can’t be reused (gives me the same refusal screen) - I could provision a new number and try again but at this point I’ve spent way too much time on this. Maybe some time later when I’m in a good mood and have time to kill.

It could also be that they refuse to open accounts for ex customers, but then I’m surprised it took them so long to notice - it’s not like I’m trying to hide having an account with them before - used the same name & birth date, gave them my previous address, etc. If they were refusing previous accounts I’d expect it to be an automated process and so it would kick me out instantly instead of after a week.

1 Like