Starling Feedback

yes they do not reopen closed accounts or new accounts for former customers by default but some people with a lot of hassle have spoken to customer services to get around that restriction

2 Likes

I don’t get the logic behind this. When I closed my Revolut account, they told me I wouldn’t be allowed to open a new account for five years. Blamed it on data protection, LOL (the favourite scapegoat of everyone).

3 Likes

My guess is that if you’ve done it once you’ll possibly do it again. So you’re potentially someone costing them money each time but probably not hooked on using it and so not a high potential value customer :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I can’t even fathom how they can blame it on DPA…

2 Likes

The DPA must be one of the most-hated pieces of legislation, it’s used as a scapegoat so much!

2 Likes

It’s not that the legislation is hated, I don’t think, it’s more that organisations use it as a means to fob off people’s queries.

Most who say they can’t do something due to DPA don’t understand DPA.

4 Likes

That was my point… That makes the general public hate it (since they see it as the cause of their frustrations).

3 Likes

I don’t think I have ever heard anyone ever complain about the Data Protection Act because most people don’t understand or care about it until they need to use it (which most people never request anything under the Data Protection Act). As @anon70107404 states, most people complain about the company stonewalling them rather than the Act blocking them.

2 Likes

I have just decided to switch my main account to starling because I can just use it with yolt for budgeting functionality…i will check back on monzo to see how they develop. In house budgeting/targets would be so good. My heart wants me to bank with monzo… Because Monzo are cool. But my brain wants me to have app/bank with better functionality…
Ps. Also starling have personalised photo for pots/goals savings which actually sold me for the time being haha… Pps. Android user too

2 Likes

Starling’s first meetup - Not sure why they choose to live steam on Facebook :thinking:
Youtube is much better and you don’t need to login watch something.

2 Likes

Thank you, Kevyn. It’s good that some people understand what I’m trying to say. It regularly feels like my contributions are railroaded to fit someone else’s narrative. Frustrating.

2 Likes

I don’t need to log in, but agree Youtube would have been better

Yes with the direct link above no need to login

1 Like

Just around the end of the video they announced that they’ve entered into relationship with the post office so you will be able to deposit money from their branches (from January), which I think it is actually really good feature that definitely improves on the appeal of their proposition.

5 Likes

It was disappointing they did not go with PayPoint as they have more outlets and the deposits get credited quicker (instant rather than next day)

Something like 99% of banking customers in the UK can use the post office for their day to day banking needs. There’s actually year old legislation to that effect but the banks don’t advertise.

I am not debating that major banks have agreements with them for some of their account types. However with about 15,000 more outlets PayPoint is a better option.

Locally we had our Post Office close in our town (and the next town over) but still have two PayPoint outlets in a large Co-op and a small McColl’s.

When we used to have a Post Office any deposits to Lloyds or Monese arrived the next banking day, but with PayPoint to Monese they are instant. I think those of us wanting the immediacy of app banking would also prefer that speed of deposit over the lumbering giant of the Post Office with it’s legacy systems.

2 Likes

I use the Post Office for my deposits for my current account and the amount is credited instantaneously.

It all depends on the contract the banks themselves have with the Post Office. So it’s not the fault of the Post Office more likely the fault of the banks concerned.

4 Likes

Switching back to Starling today. Had a direct debit bounce because not enough funds. Starling’s second chance to process direct debits at 4pm is so valuable. Would have avoided a missed payment fee. Plus gaining applepay is always a plus.

7 Likes

I have both Monzo and Starling now. I prefer the UI of Monzo;however, I prefer the account benefits of Starling: CASS, no ATM charges abroad, interest on savings.

I’ll keep both and hope Monzo get better parity. Either that or Starling improve their UI. Either way both banks are better than traditional banks for my needs.

4 Likes