Starling Feedback

The colour is ok, and Iā€™m not the most manly person going :thinking: but looks sparkly lol! Iā€™m sure it will grow on me, just would prefer a darker colour of teal

1 Like

Because weā€™re on a Starling focused thread on the Monzo forum.

4 Likes

I remember many people behaving the same way on the Starling forum, in particular in the Monzo vs Starling thread. Those who have certain deep perceptions will lean towards trying to confirm them - itā€™s a much-discussed phenomenon in the era of fake news called Confirmation Bias.

2 Likes

What problem?

1 Like

Irony being you are a starling user fighting your cornerā€¦ against monzo users fighting their corner :man_shrugging:

Dont forget there are alot of us in the middle that have both and are patiently waiting to see who comes out on top so the comparisons between features is almost necessary.

13 Likes

Sounds like you might be the one with tunnel vision :wink:.

7 Likes

Oh so thatā€™s why youā€™re here all the time. I thought you were just trolling.

5 Likes

2 Likes

I just like a good bank/building society

Iā€™m a nationwide user thanks

:joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Ever-increasing overdrafts are not a good thing though in my view - the banks hope that you get stuck in your overdraft so that they can charge you some hefty fees once you graduate.

5 Likes

They lower the interest free allowanceā€¦ in the hope, as Marcel said, that you donā€™t bother paying it off and they can make a bit of money.

4 Likes

It wasnā€™t exactly smooth sailing at re-signing up, but Starling were prompt in their reply and at fixing the situation.

The 12-month closure ā€˜banā€™ ended yesterday so I went to try and sign up yesterday and then again this morning and my mobile number was still attached to my old ā€˜closedā€™ account as it would try to log me in and then reject me as it had been blocked.

Emailed customer services to state that they needed to release my mobile number as my 12-months were over.

This evening, I resigned up as usual.

6 Likes

Given the account still exists on their system, they should just reactivate it and send out a new card. Seems cleaner than hacking around it by removing phone numbers.

4 Likes

Not saying the interest & overdraft are bad, my criticism was more about the fact itā€™s still legacy as hell, the app is meh, support is as youā€™d expect and bullshit charges all over the place (try get a direct debit declined and enjoy).

I respect the fact a bank has to make money; but I wish the charges were linked to something tangible (overdraft fees, cash deposits, sending out a new card, etc) rather than nonsense. It doesnā€™t cost anything to decline a direct debit, and the worst is that when you start getting DDā€™s declined is probably the worst time to hit someone with fees since theyā€™re already going under.

If they wanted to make money Iā€™d rather pay a monthly flat fee.

6 Likes

Support for Nationwide is honestly one of the best in the UK imo. They reply to twitter at 2AM, they answer my calls within minutes and the branch staff have managed to make an introvert with anxiety to the point I canā€™t talk to cashiers, feel welcome.

Would they actually help you out if you had a real question that isnā€™t on their script? Or will they just fob you off with ā€œyouā€™re using it wrongā€? This for me is the difference between the modern banks and the bullshit ones. With a modern bank I can easily escalate a technical issue to the engineering department if I need to. Impossible with a legacy ones (I had no luck trying to get a legacy bank to investigate an issue with how they calculated the ā€œleft to spendā€ during daylight saving time - it was giving nonsensical numbers for one hour after midnight every day, and even authorising card payments based on that wrong amount).

Also regarding Nationwide specifically, I had a disaster trying to dispute a payment. The first time I called they assured me everything was done, but after a month with no refund I called back and it seems like nothing was done the first time because they payment wasnā€™t settled yet, and now they asked me to send some proof via emailā€¦ to an address whose mailbox was full (should I buy a box of hard drives and mail it to them? :joy:), and the person on the phone had no idea how to proceed after that (nothing about maybe just sending it to her company address and for her to do the necessary the next morning when hopefully the tech team figures out the issue with the mail server).

but a flat fee for investing my money to make mibey and paying me a little interest is dumb.

But then again they have to finance branches and tons of monkeys to make up for their horrible systems that donā€™t allow the customer to do much onlineā€¦ (turns out if you do allow customers to manage their account properly online theyā€™ll have less reasons to call and speak to someoneā€¦ shocking I know).

2 Likes

I can just pester my local nationwide branch until its sorted though.

When I try to do that they tell me what I already know (make a complaint, send a paper to X address, call X number, etc) and they canā€™t do much elseā€¦ and if I keep pestering them they call security. :joy:

The only convenience I see from a branch is that when you need to mail papers, etc they usually are nice enough to print them out for you if you donā€™t have a printerā€¦ but this is a manufactured problem as ideally you wouldnā€™t need papers at all and can do everything online.

1 Like

Yes yesā€¦ it better to wait 5 days in Monzo chat for reply!

1 Like

Not saying Monzo is perfect here, but Iā€™d rather wait 5 days than take time off from billable work to go to a branch just to be told to contact X number or send a letter and then still wait 5 days.

In the meantime if the Monzo CS is too slow there are other modern alternatives like Starling.

1 Like

We need a Nationwide thread! :wink:

3 Likes

In paperwork Nationwide is in front of the queue:)
Tons of paperwork.
I opened current account onlineā€¦
Received a letter
Sign it
Send it back to Nationwide
Got another letter that I need go to branch with my ID
ā€¦ branch
And after few weeks I received my card

3 Likes