Starling Discussion & Feedback

So does monzos :thinking:

5 Likes

Elaborate on ā€œway betterā€ for me.

2 Likes

For example ā€¦I can put aside 50p instead of 5p

1 Like

Thatā€™s the feature Revolut have isnā€™t it? Does it leave your balance ending with 00 because it would annoy me too much if it didnā€™t

You can move an arbitrary amount?

So itā€™s not a round up then?

1 Like

You can use multipliers of the round up e.g 2x, 10x etc. Canā€™t remember all the multipliers as itā€™s not a feature I use.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s how Starlingā€™s round-ups looks (from their splash screen about it) :

IMG_64FCD016FE45-1

10 Likes

Interested to see what it looks like in the feed!

4 Likes

It shows the actual money spent at the merchant, with a round up icon next to it. The amount saved is then listed in the transaction details. Thatā€™s exactly how I wish Monzo did this.

16 Likes

I really like the way they implement it, but my one tweak would be to see the round up amount also included (smaller/grey text or something). Especially as Starling give you the option to multiply the round-up.

6 Likes

I like having a clear view of the actual amount spend. I donā€™t like the fact you have to go into the details to see the roundup amount.

In my ideal world both amounts are clear in the feed. Ideally the actual amount prominent, and then in superscript below, the amount including roundup. In broadest terms, something like this:

TRANSACTION TOTAL: Ā£11.59
TOTAL INC ROUNDUP: Ā£12.00

TRANSACTION TOTAL: Ā£2.30
TOTAL INC ROUNDUP: Ā£3.00

5 Likes

I find it interesting that Starling seem to be on a roll again, even releasing some features they previously said werenā€™t something they thought would be useful (including Round Ups).

Without getting into the community situation again, it does make me wonder whether ditching this has helped them focus or whether theyā€™re just in another cycle of rapid development which will be followed by another slow period.

I honestly thought losing the community would diminish my interest in them going forward, but they continue to offer a ā€˜superiorā€™ approach compared to some of the other Fintechs for me (namely being an actual bank and providing related core functionality).

Interesting times. :thinking:

3 Likes

Starling seem to be throwing new features out there a lot latelyā€¦

I believe the Fintech race is well and truely on!

This is going to be interesting to see what each banks do as outcomes :nerd_face:

5 Likes

This is a brilliant feature from Starling, which I wish Monzo would implement.

Especially useful if youā€™re on a trip or about to go somewhere with no phone signal and loose your card.

14 Likes

Yeah, granularity of card controls is my favourite over on the Christmas list

6 Likes

Possibly. This is something we have the technical capability to do but itā€™s not exposed anywhere (except for instant Apple Pay and Google Pay on signup).

Iā€™ve been thinking about ways of improving our mobile wallet integrations. Iā€™ll make a separate thread for this when I finish my current work on physical cards. :slightly_smiling_face:

20 Likes

:eyes: Any clues to what this work is? :stuck_out_tongue:

Just a general revision of the chip profile to improve compatibility, security, and satisfy new requirements. Weā€™re adding a new card manufacturer to our pool and that requires a round of certification of the new cards so weā€™re taking the opportunity to update the chip settings too.

Sorry itā€™s not too exciting. :wink:

14 Likes

Iā€™d count that as exciting! :wink:

2 Likes

This sounds exciting!