Starling Bank - Will you join and how will it affect Monzo?

It sounds like some of you haven’t used Apple Pay so I can understand why you might think it takes longer to pay than by contactless card but this isn’t the case.

There’s no turning things on, unlocking the phone or opening apps. You simply move the phone near to the terminal with your finger on the Touch ID sensor and you’re done. There’s less friction paying for things with your phone using this method than messing around with your wallet and cards.

Also as someone else mentioned you can nip into the shop and easily pay for things even without even needing your wallet.

To be honest we’re only taking seconds difference either way but it just seems more of a hassle paying using my card now i’ve got used to using my phone. It’s a similar feeling to when you’ve been using your contactless card for a while and have got used to just tapping and then you go to a shop and you have to put the card in the machine and enter a pin.

Using your phone is just the next step to simplify the paying process.

1. Signature
  2. Chip and Pin
  3. Contactless cards
  4. Phone
1 Like

I switched from using Apple Pay to contactless when I became a customer. At this point, I’m not bothered by having to find my card & pay at all. But would I prefer to be able to use Apple Pay - yes.

The good news is it shouldn’t be much longer until Monzo can move away from Wirecard to their own platform & set up Apple Pay.

They want to set it up just as much as we want it :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Can it be used while the phone is switched off?

If you mean off as in when you press the power button and the screen goes black then yes it still works. When you move the phone near the terminal the screen jumps to life and the card pops up on the screen ready to accept your fingerprint.

If the phone’s completely powered down, like when you’ve run out of battery, then obviously it doesn’t work in this state.

i think the days of secretivism (if thats a word) is dead. especially in an age where info is shared (allowing for greater transparency)

2 Likes

Secrecy is the word you’re looking for.

If I ever actually get access I might give them a try, especially if they have a fully featured Android app.

I’d love to try them out, but I will still be sticking with Monzo, so the poll is a little restrictive!

Hi all, just wanted to share my experience with you all.

I was given access to Starling’s Beta account at the end of last week and now have completed the initial set up (which doesn’t require a upfront top up like :monzo:) not that I was ever bothered by it. However the minimum debit card/Apple Pay top up is £50 like previously mentioned but you can just do a normal faster payment transfer to your account using your account number & sort code from any other traditional bank.

I have now switched all my direct debit and standing orders to go from Starling (I did miss my employer cut off for to have my salary paid in so won’t get the full experience till next month however I will transfer my salary in by bank transfer myself tomorrow!!

I was told by someone at Starling via chat that you do get notifications when a direct debit or standing order is taken and the payment is processed which is very handy and can only assume it will be the same when my salary get paid in every month. - hope to see this feature in Monzo :blush:

So far it’s seems to be going very smoothly and the app is very intuitive and easy to use, it’s super awesome to be fully mobile now.

However I am still eager to use Monzo’s current account being that I have been using them for over a year and half now and have really enjoyed experience with them.

I will give an update in a month or so to let you all know how it has been to use fully.

11 Likes

Thanks for sharing this Sean :bulb: aside from the standard bank account features, are there any feature gaps between the two apps?

2 Likes

I like the colors and the packing

3 Likes

For me the feature gap I see at present is Monzo not having the Pay by App option. Also, IF Starling were to do their own SEPA payments instead of using a third party like TravelWise that would be a big plus for me.

So far features seem to be very similar with slight differences like Monzo.me (which is a feature I love :green_heart:) I am yet to use #StarlingPulse which I am intrigued to how it works and other money targeting and saving features - but soon as I have a further update with more features here will be first to know. :blush:

1 Like

The fact that Starling Pulse has pie charts is very appealing

1 Like

There’s only one pie chart we all need to have.

17 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Competitor update

I received a Starling card today, I must say it looks professional. Putting it next to the Monzo card it makes the Monzo design look rather childish to me, but then I’ve never liked the orange cards.

I was able to send some money to it with an account number and sort code, but I haven’t spent any money on it yet so I can’t make any meaningful comparisons to Monzo. I must admit, I’m looking forward to being able to spend money without people remarking on how bright the card is.I’ll post again once I’ve used it a bit.

1 Like

Used my Starling card for the first time today. Yes, I was taken by its appearance - classy.

Funds transfer from either debit card or bank account is instant. Transaction update also.

All good thus far.

1 Like

Same, so far so good. Seems a bit more grown up than Monzo judging on card appearance and the style of push notifications.

1 Like

Once Monzo’s current account is live, the choice between them may, for some at least, be around whether Monzo retains the cheaper FX facility.