Sphere chat šŸŒ

See i know and have heard about signal. Problem is trying to persuade others too it

It has a bad image associated with it when you mention to people to use they just assume you use the dark web :joy::joy:

1 Like

I think thatā€™s the problem with competing chat apps at the moment.

Until thereā€™s a shift away from Whatsapp at least, as all the current platforms suffer from ā€œI had to download whatsapp because everyone else is one thereā€.

I have telegram, with about 2 people on it. Same for Signal.

Never heard of google meet and we use google for almost everythingā€¦ and zoom for meetings.

Rebranding of hangouts

Iā€™m one of the adminsā€¦ we didnā€™t decide, weā€™d never heard of it!

Hangouts we never used because we went for a chat solution that integrates with our phones (8x8) which personally I hate but well, policy, what can you do?

1 Like

IF you run your own business, you can host your own Jitsi server with out worrying about security issues. If you can run your own server for a social club or friends without having to worry about censorship.

Remember, it is an opensource project and has its selling points but if it is an one off quick chat then stick to google meet or zoom

Well, other than taking steps to ensure you secure the servers against unauthorised access, presumably.

2 Likes

Same here. We would never use it, but equally Iā€™ve never heard of it.

Several years ago we needed email and document storage, and apps for business was what won. Itā€™s been rebranded a bit since but itā€™s not like google are shouting these new things from the rooftops. Heck even during this lockdown Iā€™ve had 0 adverts for it even though youā€™d think theyā€™d want people to use it.

1 Like

It is zero concern as services are not enabled by default. What is more interesting is that there is zero marketing from Google about it. it is certainly not ā€˜worryingā€™ from an admin point of view.

1 Like

Also itā€™s not very good, for more complex setups it doesnā€™t work.