Sky or Virgin TV, which is best in your opinion?

Yes sorry
I have entertainment, HD, on demand , sports , cinema , uhd multi room for £71

Virgin Media were my previous ISP. Whenever there was any kind of issue, dealing with their technical team always left a sour taste. Too much following a script, and very little technical knowledge, would always blame my own equipment for slower than advertised speeds over WiFi, because it could never be that their own modem/router just wasn’t sufficient enough :roll_eyes:

I have often considered switching back to them now that there is no traffic management in their network and for the much superior speeds, because assuming issues are minimal I can tolerate the tech support, but then I moved to an area outside of their coverage, so I’m stuck with VDSL for better or worse.

My current ISP for the past 7 years or so has been AAISP. They are by no means cheap, but I chose them primarily for their stance on privacy, encryption, censorship, transparency, and their aim of zero contention and low latency (poor and jittery latency was a key issue I had with Virgin) within their network. They have a solid reputation for kicking BT Openreach into gear, have a superb tech support team, line tools and quality monitoring, and very good at handling faults. This all comes with the caveat of being capped service, which is a trade off I’m perfectly happy to make.

1 Like

I don’t do any, I have freesat and Netflix.

I’m with @RichardL here.

I’d been toying with the idea of dumping Sky for months and the Coronavirus situation helped tip me over the edge. The transition has been nothing like as hard as I thought it was going to be. I wish I’d done it ages ago.

Every telly in the house has a Roku stuffed in the back, giving access to iPlayer (and all UK channel equivalents), Netflix, Prime, Disney+, YouTube, NOWTV and loads more besides.

I got a NOW TV deal last Black Friday that we were just using for movies, but it has all the Sky box sets on there as well and Sky Sports passes should football ever happen again.

I did get a cheap Manhattan Freesat box, so when we’re allowed out again and my mum has to come and babysit, she has a way to sit and flick through channels (she wouldn’t have a clue what to do it I handed her a Roku remote!), but I’ve rarely used it. A little warning if you’re thinking of doing similar - some Freesat boxes aren’t compatible with Sky Q dishes - I had to get the LNB replaced on the dish, which was an unexpected cost (but only a little over a month’s subscription cost that I was paying to Sky!).

But - back on topic - in my experience, I’d take Sky over Virgin every day of the week.

2 Likes

Another benefit of streaming apps over traditional tv is that, providing you don’t watch iPlayer or any of the live channels on Now TV, there’s no longer an obligation to pay for a tv license.