Sexist

Charge nurse is the term

4 Likes

How does this evoke such debate?

Too much time under lockdown, me thinks

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

That said, I know of one police officer who clung to her title of WPC, long after the term ceased to be used :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yes I agree. They are social workers as well. I prefer “Constable” LOL

2 Likes

Charge Nurse, sure - that replaced Sister in many services.

Just to add to the mix, though, recent years have seen the introduction of “Modern Matron” as a gender-neutral term in hospitals. I’ve never come to terms with that one.

Yep. For that is what a Police Officer is. :+1:

If we take it to the top, we should stop calling our head of state , 'the queen and just call her head if state or the monarch or?? And this trickles down through the royal family.

I’m 100% on the side of “firefighter” here.

I try to use gender neutral language as much as possible.

2 Likes

That is just 1 rank of police officer though and is incorrect for say a police sergeant

We could call our head of state ‘the President’ and elect her/him, like they do in democratic countries.

2 Likes

You have my vote.

1 Like

I mean it’s 2020 you have to be a special kind of insecure if you have problems with using gender neutral terms :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

On the calendar, yes. People are still harking back to the blitz and Dunkirk, though. When I say people, I mean people who didn’t live through it, in the main.

2 Likes

No problem using them and equally see no problem is referring to someone and including their gender.

I don’t care if it’s a male or female that:

Finds the covid19 cure
Delivers my post
Fixes my car
Rescues me from my burning car
Farms the land
Bakes my bread
Does my accounts
Represents me at court
Designs my cloths
Lays my carpet
Pilots my plane
Drives my boat
Serves me at a Bar
Cuts my hair
Etc
Etc
Etc

I see no issue with people being identified by their gender, it should make no difference to ability, rank, job, opportunities, access, expectations, pay etc etc, we are a world full of people and some of us are males and some are females and some who choose to be identified as other, wanting to be identified as your gender is equally as right as not wanting to be identified by your gender.

And yet you care enough that you still want to be able to mention their gender? That doesn’t really add up.

There’s no need to say the firefighter who stopped my house from burning down was a firewoman, that the mechanic who fixed my car was a lady mechanic, that the actor I admired in a role was an actress. I will always use the gender-netual term, and if I slip up and call a chairperson a chairman, I’ll apologise and work to correct my usage in future.

Gender has no bearing on job ability, there’s no need to introduce it to the mix.

4 Likes

I don’t want to or need to but also see no harm in doing so.

We have explained the issues with doing so.

A friend of mine once told me when she applied for the job of “camera man” for a local news channel in the 90’s. The interview panel were surprised to see a woman apply for the job.

To this day I still see job postings for camera men.

2 Likes

And that should not be the case, I’d guess that should be camera operator or something, but if a woman got the job she should be able to call herself a camerawoman if she chooses to and a man to call himself cameraman.

That’s is what it is now but the fight is still there and the people who put out posting for camera men usually have no intentions of hiring a woman. That’s the danger of gendering job roles.

1 Like

Exactly Neil

1 Like

While in other discussion out with this group, a female friend has just said she would prefer doctors to be gender discript as she had a gynecologist appointment a few years back and was devastated when she arrived at hospital and discovered it was a male doctor doing the procedure, she had no idea and would have requested a female doctor if shed known before hand.