Surely the term is Fire Reduction Consultant now?


HuMAN race… FireMAN.
We dont call police Handcuffers or Arresters. I prefer Emergency Response Officer … "ERO"s given they deal with many and varied incidents.

The governments careers service page uses both terms for Firefighter. They are probably there just for Google search results but it’s some clear backup for your debate with your partner :smile: !

1 Like

I think you should stop bickering over what name to call them and just put out the fire.


Putting gender in the job title isn’t necessary. I wouldn’t call or sexist, it’s just a very old fashioned description


I’m not sure what your point is with this one, we do call police “police officers” and the singular “police officer” :man_shrugging:


I told you why in my last post :man_facepalming:

I wasn’t sure whether you meant that all of them are small minded men. You don’t see any other reason why they might not like it, such as the female staff weren’t as friendly and welcoming as they were to you?

In all honesty even when me and my friends get into these sort of debates it always ends up where men are evil and women can’t do any wrong. It’s obviously not the case.

Firemen/women deal with fires. Police don’t do “officering” they arrest and handcuff people as one of their primary task/duties.
Just me small input I do realise the topic is not meant to get overly serious.

1 Like

Firefighter is better because you may not identify clearly as either man or woman.


I’m old enough that the transition from fireman/woman to firefighter has come relatively recently for me. I guess that about 90% of the time I manage to catch the word fireman on its way from my brain to my mouth before it escapes. I’m working on the other 10% and debates like this really do help with that.

But having said that, I can’t for the life of me understand why some people insist on deliberately using a gendered term when there is a perfectly good non gendered term available.

Do they think about doctors and doctoresses, pilots and pilotesses, or engineers and engineeresses?


No, but now I’ve seen the words in black and white…I can’t shift them :flushed:

I mean - “engineeresses”?


Less so these days. Primary duties are dealing with mental health incidents, medical concerns, welfare checks for other agencies and domestic incidents.

The proportion of what they deal with that involves arrest is much lower these days with alternative, out of court resolutions being sought for what crime is dealt with.

Firefighter is the more commonly used term, as it’s the least sexist and not gender-specific as it can mean both man/woman/whatever other thing you wanna be.

Regardless that’s a petty argument, go for your one walk a day and brush it off.


For the purposes of argument, if you were arranging stag do or hen do would you be happy to call up the strippers agency and just order a firefighter not knowing if it was a male or female that would be striping for said stag/hen :see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil:

1 Like

I agree, I’m not saying the term does not exist in just saying that I said to my daughter she could be a fire woman when older if wanted, I believe it has equal rank as firefighter it just identified my daughter as a female working in a team of firefighters who are both male and female.


I guess if you were ordering a stripper, gender neutral terms aren’t likely to be at the top of your personal agenda. :man_shrugging: :woman_shrugging:

I am aware of the emoji irony there.


In that case, the gender is relevant to the job function being performed - although I still think firefighter is the relevant term there. (“I’d like to order 1x female stripper dressed as a firefighter”).

For the fire reduction specialists, their gender is not relevant to their fire reduction capabilities, and keeping the gendered titles to make ordering strippers more straightfoward is probably low down on the list of reasons for keeping the terms…


That would be because ‘nurse’ is already gender neutral. Same as ‘teacher’.


There is Sister tho. I’m not sure what the male equivalent is

1 Like