Set Start of Month

So… back to the main question… when is Monzo likely to bring out a custom “set start of month” option?
The two main reasons I use my Monzo are to Track spending and get a good exchange rate abroad.
Without a meaningful way to track my spending (i.e. one that matches my financial start/end of month) there is no point for me to use it except when I go on holiday.

I get paid on the 15th of the month, so a custom start of month would be really handy! :+1:t3::grin:

I am using my Monzo card to help me budget and love it so far. I get paid on 20th of each month so would be great to be able to set that date as my monthly start date rather than 1st. Otherwise my monthly spending doesn’t truly reflect what I am actually spending.

1 Like

its a widely requested feature :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Madamejones :wave::tada: and welcome to the community. I moved your post here, there are more users like you that would like this functionality - so this allows us to keep the forum nice and tidy. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi & thanks. I love tidy :smile: keep up the good work!

2 Likes

What is the latest on this? I think the reality is that a lot of people want to monitor their spending “per-paycheck” - and we all get paid on different dates. Are Monzo introducing a feature where you define start of month? Sorry there’s an awful lot to read here :slight_smile:

I know that this has been posted sooo many times but it really is critical to a user such as myself (and clearly many others). The benefit of monzo over any other application in which you record your spending is because the logging and data analysis is baked in. There is very little user intervention when it comes to recording your spending, which is great, but telling me what i have spent over a period since my last paycheck is the only valuable information to me. I feel this gets posted a lot and that it is perhaps viewed as a less critical ‘feature’ than it should be. what is the current roadmap for this feature? I’m an android user so i am also lacking spending targets. I was excited to become a current account user as i believed this functionality may come around during the rollout. please tell me it’s soon. You have gotten me addicted to smart banking and i need my fix!

1 Like

Roadmap

I think it comes under Spending & Targets? So 3-6 months.

Agree, I’m getting the impression it’s not a feature that’s given much weight(?). Surprising, because this seems to have been mentioned a lot.

Personally the targets function is of no use to me if I can’t modify the date. And I know I’m not the only one here with this issue.

1 Like

To be fair, only one feature has any weight in the last 6 months or more and that’s been Current Accounts. Only now they’re rolling out to the masses has anyone really had any time to look at anything else.

1 Like

@hugo @simonb @alexs I’ve been reading this thread for a while the up’s, the downs, the semantically inclined arguments ‘should they be called targets or limits’ blah blah blah (I’m not being flippant, I’m ever so slightly irritated :angry:) the only thing that I am sure of is that this thread is over a year old and there’s no definitive answer from Monzo about the start dates for budgeting. I, like a lot of people, work my budget from payday which is the middle of the month, I try to pay everything out by the 1st but some companies have arbitrary payment dates ‘on or around, or my personal favourite 3 days +/- ) so having a budget date that I can set to my own pay date would be a godsend so when I do receive my CA everything makes a little bit more sense rather than wondering how I’ve spent so much more money than I actually got paid in a month.
If someone from Monzo could pony up an answer, I (and at least 100 others) would be ever so grateful. :+1:t5::blush:

1 Like

We don’t know when this change will be made but we do know it’s on it’s way -

it might not get released that soon but if it isn’t, that’ll be because the team will be rolling out other awesome features like Pots :slight_smile:

@alexs thanks for being a don and getting right on back with an answer :+1:t5::fist_right:t5::fist_left:t5:

1 Like

I do not use the ‘spending’ tabs at all as they are of no use to me - being able to customise this section, starting with each payday cycle (every four weeks) would be much more helpful for me!

Pots looks great! but i still think the point is being missed here. Setting the start of month is much more base functionality than the features that appear to be taking precedence. I like where the features are going but the path to get there should have had start of month being settable earlier. this would allow us to still get useful data from the application, until we get all of the niceties such as targets, pots ect. I am worried that setting start of month will be bundled with a big update, sometime way in the future, and the current roadmap seems to back that up. So please, please, please consider doing this asap, rather than bundling it with other more complex functionality.

2 Likes

The start of the month is tied in to the whole targets/budgeting feature. My understanding is that this is currently being completely rewritten, so they are not fiddling about with the existing feature (even for something that seems as trivial as setting the start of the month – there are always implications for such changes that have to be worked through). Even if you could set the start of the month, there are issues with the current Targets implementation, such as the fact that being paid back for shared charges or expenses doesn’t decrease your spend, that make it difficult to use for anything other than the most simplistic budget.

For an idea of where this is going, see here:

I think it is likely that Pots had to come first, as it is pretty foundational to the architecture. When the revised Spending tab comes along, we will want it to work smoothly with Pots, so this way they can be integrated with the new Spending features from the outset.

3 Likes

Yes, it does appear to be tied to other functionality, i guess i am just disappointed that it is. So yes, i understand that there are knock on effects for things like targets, to implement this feature, but that’s what identifies this as more base functionality. That is why i am frustrated when i see other features being given a higher priority because it will make it even more difficult to include this one. I can see the can getting kicked down the road to give users fancy new features instead of what many believe are more fundamental. Your point that it takes longer to implement due to how it ties in with other features is exactly why i am passionate about seeing this happen sooner rather than later.

I was trying to say that I think we’ll see this feature with the re-launch/update of Spending/Targets. And I think that is one of the priority features being worked on. It’s currently showing in the Near Term on the transparent product roadmap, and Naji recently updated the roadmap, so that is their current plan.

I also think that Monzo accepted long ago that people need to be able to set the start date, so I would be very surprised if they weren’t taking this into account with anything they’re designing now. I can’t imagine the features being developed now will make it more difficult to include setting the start of the month.

My prediction is that we’ll get an updated spending/targets feature in the first half of 2018, and it will include the ability to set the start of the month, and it will be available on Android too. :robot: Let’s see what happens… :eyes:

It’s great to see how you’ve spent your money over the month. However my salary doesn’t get paid in on the 1st. So it’s always ever so slightly out.

It’d be amazing if you could choose your month start or end date.